2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What grade of fuel does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:43 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

quote from the TSB:

Some vehicles may experience light spark knock in situations such as trailer towing or climbing steep sustained grades. Light knock or "ping" under these conditions is not harmful. However, if the customer is concerned about light knock under these circumstances, the use of 89 (R+M)/2 or even 91 (R+M)/2 premium gasoline may be temporarily warranted. If a vehicle is experiencing heavy spark knock on gasoline with its designed octane rating, this may be an indication of excessive combustion chamber deposits, or some other problem. Combustion chamber deposits can be removed with Mopar Combustion Chamber Conditioner p/n 04318001. Standard diagnostic procedures may help in identifying other potential causes of excessive knock. Some gasoline marketers may advertise that their premium gasoline contains extra detergent additives. Under provisions of the Clean Air Act, ALL gasoline sold in the U.S. must contain effective deposit control additives. Nevertheless, if fuel injector or intake valve deposits are suspected of contributing to poor performance, occasional use of Mopar Fuel Injector Clean Up p/n 04549613 is a much less expensive way to maintain engine cleanliness than regular use of premium gasoline.
======

does not read as BS to me,
seems straight forward and economy for the customer minded

Sunoco 95 octane
usually rates high on DI number too,
but many other "Premium" gasolines vary on DI number

Old 10-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Visious 318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were i live people think it is funny to drive with thier stuff spark knocking to the point it burns the tops off the pistons. Then they claim that the Brand of Vehical that this happened to was a pile of crap. Or they will drove it around with a v8 running on 7 cylanders for 6 mouths tell everyone they put this asome big cam in it to try to cover up the fact they are lazy and don't care to fix it. Then when they do fix it a 6 mouths later the cylander thats was missing throws a rod out the block. So then agin it a pile of crap. Piont spark knock at all is not good for a engine becuz over time it will damage it. If you guys think of putting Nitrous to a engine that light pings every once and a while let me know so I have time to set up a cam corder and pop a bag of pop corn. It WILL destroy a engine if it pings while one the bottle. Pinging can be takin care of if the right grade of fuel is used and the ECM is tuned right and for the old School guys out thier the carbs and distributors are set right you will never have a issue and have many miles more out of the engine. I have seen so many get thier gas a places like Wal-Mart and wonder way thier cars and trucks are never running right and having to have the fuel filters replaced all the time. This is due to poor quality fuel that don't burn clean leaves exssesive deposits in the engine. Buying gas at Wal-Mart is like buying a car from them. "Welcome to Wal-Mart home of the NEW $1000 car made from recycled pastic bags. Even the engine and trannny is plastic." You buy it and it last 3000 miles then you wonder way the wheels are worn out and tring to fall off. You don't change the oil just replace the vehical. My point being is that no matter what Make Model Year a vehical is thier is a Forum out thier on how to make them better than stock. That means that the Dealer does not alway know everything trust me I have seen how the big three work and thier is room for improvement in them all. Thats like Chrysler and thier belly pan gaskits blowing out. If they only send a little more time doing R&D they would have found this issue. If they spent alittle more money on the gaskit and made the sheet metle cover just alittle thicker or used a differant matial this would never had been a issue. They only design these vehicals today to last for 4 years then be thrown away so you have to buy a new one agin. This is how they make money. Buy us as a community of Dodge owners on this Forum we can get together and help one another out on tuning modding and maintianing our rides so we all can get the most out of each and everyone of our vehicals here. I am on a number of Forums and they will all be the first to say the dealer is hardly right and openly admitt it. They even on one Forum I'm on a guy has been giving away tuning specs to members to help them out he has the first 11 second factory stock parts truck out. All he did was tune tune tune. No how come we can't do this? I have seen how to lift, lower, copy from a manual and qoute Chrysler bullitons but has anyone here shared a tune other than how to adjust the crank sensor mod 180 degree t-stat trick? Does any one here have a program you can put a laptop on your truck and adjust the injector pulse width, spark timing, top speed shut down, gear changes, tell the computor new cam specs, crank specs, adjust knock sensor for the use of gear drives, allow for boost I havn't seen this type of tuniong here unless you send a bunch of $ for the tuners and at that you are still very limited to what can be done.

Sorry for the long post guys but I needed to say this and it is a pet peeve I have when people say the dealer said it so it must be right and must be the only way.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 AM
andy360
Rookie

me personally i ussually run 89 but sum times when i drain the fuel cell in the race car i run turbo blue unleaded plus in it

Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Bam24609

i use 89 octane, it runs cleaner, no lag or pinging on take off, only 10 cents more per gal. in cold weather i would get some pretty rough starts in the morning, The truck just runs better with 89 octane with the ocasional bottle of STP

Quick Reply: What grade of fuel does everyone use?