2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM
tazman6789
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock question

ok so i have a ram 1500 4x4 sport with a 3 inch lift and 285/70/r17s on it, I need new shocks, i can get monroe gas shocks from federated auto parts for 35 a shock. my question is does the 2500 or the v10 have a longer shock to make up for the lift on my suspension. if so will either of those shocks fit on my truck, i would like to put a plow on my truck befor it snows so im going to need a lil bit stiffer of a shock. As my truck sits now with factory length shocks they have about an inch of travel down befor the shock runs out. i know i can order shocks from summit for a lifted truck and all that but then its gonna cost me like 60+ a shock instead of 35. so if i can get the 2500 or v10 shocks that are longer on my truck it would save me some money. so i can afford the plow

Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 AM
tazman6789
Veteran

Anybody know?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from my personal experience,1/2 tons do not like plows. wears them out.

sorry dont know about the shocks.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
V10Dodger

I don't know about Monroe shocks, but Edelbrock has shocks for your truck with a 3" lift.

I have the Edelbrock Xtreme Travel IAS shocks on my 99 2500 4X4 and they are by far the best ridding shock I have had on the truck. When I bought the truck it had Monroes and they road like crap. I tried a set of Rancho 9000's which I could adjust to get it to ride just okay. I loaned my truck to the Edelbrock shock division so they could design shocks for that application, and got it back with the Xtreme travel shocks, and they are staying on!! They probably cost more than the Monroes but in this case (IMO) you get what you pay for.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:56 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

at 170 a shock thats WAYYYYY out of my price range lol, thanks for the input tho, thats why i wondered if the 2500 or v10s were a longer shock to make up for the lift but still have a shock i can buy at a part store using my company discount

Last edited by tazman6789; 10-01-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:14 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

If I remember correctly from my research, Edelbrock does not make their own shocks. They have KYB make their shocks for them, I believe.

In other words, I wouldn't recommend the Edelbrocks. I gave them a good strong look when I was first buying shocks, and went with the Monroe Gas-Magnums instead.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 PM
V10Dodger

Originally Posted by tazman6789
at 170 a shock thats WAYYYYY out of my price range lol, thanks for the input tho, thats why i wondered if the 2500 or v10s were a longer shock to make up for the lift but still have a shock i can buy at a part store using my company discount
$170.00 Ea. where the heck are you shopping for shocks? Obviously the wrong place! Most competitive shops sell for (or around) jobber price. Suggested jobber price is $99.19 Ea.

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM
V10Dodger

Originally Posted by jason.w
If I remember correctly from my research, Edelbrock does not make their own shocks. They have KYB make their shocks for them, I believe.

In other words, I wouldn't recommend the Edelbrocks. I gave them a good strong look when I was first buying shocks, and went with the Monroe Gas-Magnums instead.
Jason
During your "research" you have been 100% misinformed!

Edelbrock shocks are made by Edelbrock at the shock division facility in Torrance CA. It is true however, that Edelbrock makes shocks for some of the lift companies.
If you did an actuall back to back ride test compairison you would see there is a big difference with the Edel. shocks.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jason.w
And why did you go with the Manroes instead??? comparing Manroe shocks to Edelbrocks is like comparing a Geo to a Caddillac

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by V10Dodger
Jason
During your "research" you have been 100% misinformed!

Edelbrock shocks are made by Edelbrock at the shock division facility in Torrance CA. It is true however, that Edelbrock makes shocks for some of the lift companies.
If you did an actuall back to back ride test compairison you would see there is a big difference with the Edel. shocks.
My apologies then. I heard a couple people's personal testimonies, ran across a few reviews of the Edelbrocks, and made my conclusion. Looks like I have some more reading to do.

Originally Posted by PURPLDODGERAMITMFERS
And why did you go with the Manroes instead??? comparing Manroe shocks to Edelbrocks is like comparing a Geo to a Caddillac
I wasn't doing any off-roading or any heavy duty stuff, didn't feel the need to spend that much on shocks.

And as far as comparing a Geo to a Cadillac, thats a little extreme. I highly doubt there is THAT much difference between them.

Are they better? Maybe, not saying they aren't (they'd better be nice for as much as they cost), but from what I heard, they aren't worth it. Of course, thats from the some of the same people who told me Edelbrock didn't make their own, so maybe I shouldn't be believing them.

Quick Reply: Shock question