2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old Today, 07:28 AM
ryblmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan Tool

I am hoping someone can recommend a decent scan/diagnostic tool for a 2000 Gasser. It seems the options are very very limited.

I have purchased a MT2500 - had to sell it because it is hit or miss with the software and cartridge compatibility, and the fact that Snap-On no longer supports it make it a black hole of trying to find a MT2500 and compatible cartridges.

AlfaOBD only shows support back to 2004.

Most other scan tools only provide basic options.

i am looking for a scan tool that can set fuel sync and perform other functions than just the bare minimum.

All I have been able to find is the Innova 5610.

Old Today, 07:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

The snap on is the general go to scanner for older cars. It will even do OBDI...... I still see them for sale on ebay complete with all adapters and cartridges.....

Old Today, 07:54 AM
ryblmc

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The snap on is the general go to scanner for older cars. It will even do OBDI...... I still see them for sale on ebay complete with all adapters and cartridges.....
I actually purchased one from a retiring mechanic and the software “updates” performed on the cartridges/MT2500 left the MT2500 unable to connect to my vehicle. I have a local Snap-On guy that I talked to about it and he said I may have to try numerous Chrysler keys to get it to work or buy different cartridges. It’s just a black hole of finding the right stuff.

Old Today, 07:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Originally Posted by ryblmc
I actually purchased one from a retiring mechanic and the software “updates” performed on the cartridges/MT2500 left the MT2500 unable to connect to my vehicle. I have a local Snap-On guy that I talked to about it and he said I may have to try numerous Chrysler keys to get it to work or buy different cartridges. It’s just a black hole of finding the right stuff.
An ongoing problem with older vehicles, exacerbated by the advent of computer controlled engines..... Technology marches on, and we are now driving what are classified as 'Antiques'.....

Old Today, 12:32 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 323 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by ryblmc
Sounds like the MT2500 cartridges you had may have been those "black" generic cartridges that the SnapOn reps load up with software to extend the life of the MT2500 to the newer cars of that time, but unfortunately, those custom programmed cartridges leave out some of the earlier model cars due to limitations of how much data those MT2500 cartridges can physically hold.

Best to find the Chrysler specific MT2500 primary cartridge that covers your year truck to use with the "red brick" MT2500 scanner - here's an example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/225811655140 - when I use that specific cartridge with my truck, in my experience, it usually doesn't ask me for a personality key.

Old Today, 01:03 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Generally older "pro level" tools tend to work well with pre-canbus vehicles. Older snap-on scanners need the stupid personality keys and sometimes newer software needs different newer keys but work good. The OTC genisys with the smart cable (not the older snap-on style cable with keys) works very well from personal experience. Then there's the DRBIII but they seem to command a hefty premium. There's also a DRBIII emulator SW but getting this to work seems pretty involved.
The tricky part is that the OBD2 connector in the 2nd gen connects to three different buses, the mandatory OBD2, the CCD and the SCI bus. Hence the need for smart cables or personality keys, and the reason most newer tools can only get basic information from the PCM and don't talk to ABS or airbag modules.

Old Today, 02:44 PM
ryblmc

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Generally older "pro level" tools tend to work well with pre-canbus vehicles. Older snap-on scanners need the stupid personality keys and sometimes newer software needs different newer keys but work good. The OTC genisys with the smart cable (not the older snap-on style cable with keys) works very well from personal experience. Then there's the DRBIII but they seem to command a hefty premium. There's also a DRBIII emulator SW but getting this to work seems pretty involved.
The tricky part is that the OBD2 connector in the 2nd gen connects to three different buses, the mandatory OBD2, the CCD and the SCI bus. Hence the need for smart cables or personality keys, and the reason most newer tools can only get basic information from the PCM and don't talk to ABS or airbag modules.
Regarding the OTC Genesys, would either one of these work?

One is the OTC Genesys Touch and the other is OTC Genesys SPX

Trending Topics

Old Today, 03:45 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

The Genisys SPX is what I have. Most of them have dead batteries by now but it's a dirt cheap RC car battery, and they work without battery anyways. No experience with the touch but it appears to have OBD1 adapters for Chrysler so it can talk CCD bus.
In any case make sure it has properly activated software on it. The tool alone is useless.

Old Today, 03:58 PM
ryblmc

Originally Posted by DerTruck
The Genisys SPX is what I have. Most of them have dead batteries by now but it's a dirt cheap RC car battery, and they work without battery anyways. No experience with the touch but it appears to have OBD1 adapters for Chrysler so it can talk CCD bus.
In any case make sure it has properly activated software on it. The tool alone is useless.
How can I go about checking for properly activated software? It’s an auction item, but I can go view items and check.

Quick Reply: Scan Tool