2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil pressure issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:43 PM
dangerousdegner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure issues?

Wow, so it was almost two years ago I bought the truck. When I first bought her the oil pressure, once the truck was warmed to operating temp, would drop sometime to half between 40 and zero and the oil light would flicker and if you let is sit and idle it would drop to zero, and the oil light stays on, if you throttle up a little the pressure goes back up. But once you let off of the gas it does the same thing. I had to replace the oil pressure sending unit, and then the oil pump and pickup screen. About a year ago I replace the sending unit again because the problem was still happening. I just don't know where to go from here. If anyone has some advice I appreciate it.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:19 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same exact problem.

They told me it was a air pocket where the oil drains to the sending unit, therefore going up/down hills or at idle that pocket would fill with air and the sending unit think's there is no oil in it.

Do you happen to have a stick shift as well?

Old 10-04-2008, 06:24 PM
dangerousdegner

No, mine is an automatic. This is weird though, the up and down hill part that you were talking about is not part of my issue. In any case did they tell you how to get the air pocket out? Another weird thing is that I have been reading all the threads on here about oil pressure issues and most peoples are different than ours, their oil pressure is dropping when they step on the gas, so I am guessing that is an entirely different problem.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran

ya they said to bring it back and they would try to fix it... but the truck is my daily driver and this problem does not in any way effect the trucks driving, i mean as far as the motor still functioning properly. they did say it was kinda common on GM pickups as the tech i talked to said he used to work for them.

but that is wierd... i was hoping i wasn't alone haha

Old 10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
joelbissonnette

i bet your oil pump is clogged. It happened to me after I corrected the manifold gasket and plenum gasket. If you investigate the oil pump i bet it will have debris on the tube screen.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran

hmm, i'll check it out next week.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 PM
4X$ Viper
Default I have this going on at times

My truck has 280,000 miles and burns just a little oil if my level drops some this happens to me maybe this is the same as you next time just change the oil and not the amount you are getting out from the drain!! hope this will help some.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:10 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull the oil pan, buy a melling high volume unit and replace the pump. It's $37 of insurance at Autozone.

Here's some instructions, ignore the stuff about the rear main seal:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/rearmain.php

Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 PM
dangerousdegner

I alreadyh have the melling in there and a brand new pickup and screen the problem never stopped. When I dropped the pan last time there was nothing bloking the pick up or screen, and the damned old pump still worked. So any other ideas, like i said I have also replace the sending unit twice I figured maybe that cheap a$$ part might be deffective from the factory. The only thing I noticed was that when I ran syntec in her it was perfect, then I wanted to give some penzoil synthetic a shot, much to my dismay not only did the problem come back, but I swear my mileage dropped about 15 miles per tank.(An average over 3 months) So, next time I when I change the oil I will flush her good and I am going to run royal, I already switched all my other vehicles and have had great results. I'll let you all know if it helps.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Visious 318
Professional

A HIGH VOLUME OR HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP IS NOTHING MORE THAN A VERY POOR BANDAGE FOR A LOOSE WORN OUT ENGINE. If you have no oil pressure @ idle but have it when idled up the bearing in the engine have too much clearance and this is ware your oil pressureis going.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure issues?