2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 PM
tharry8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Question

Have a 98 with the 5.2L and 110,00 miles. If the truck sits for 3 days or more the transmission does not engage right away. I start the truck, put it in D, and it takes a couple seconds to engage (the engine revs, but the truck barely moves). If it sits overnight or a day or 2, no issue. Been doing this for the last 25,000 miles or so. Note that I used to drive every day, but started driving my car more with the high gas prices. So, it may have been a problem before, but never noticed because the truck never sat that long.

Anyone else had this issue?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:12 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the converter is draining back. It takes a few seconds for the Torque Converter to fill up.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Visious 318
Professional

Yes mine does it too. It is becus Chrysler and thier infinent stupidity designed the transmission not to pump transmission fluid while in park but only in a gear or nuetral. this is way you have to put the tranmission in nuetral to check the fluid level. This is part of the reason a Chrysler tranny will die so easy.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:20 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

You can replace the PR valve in the valve body with a sonnax PR valve and fix this problem. O just drill a .055 hole through the correct passages in the PR circuit.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 PM
tharry8

Originally Posted by MonteC
You can replace the PR valve in the valve body with a sonnax PR valve and fix this problem. O just drill a .055 hole through the correct passages in the PR circuit.
So, do I have a problem? I dont know what a PR valve is (but I have my drill ready to go...).

Im pretty handy. Do most maintenance myself (plugs, wires, oil, water pump, alternator, etc). Can you point me to additional information on the PR valve? Appreciate the help.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

I wouldnt worry too much about it.

But...

To drill the hole you have to remove and disassemble the entire valve body.

To put the sonnax valve in you just have to pull the valve body down from the transmission, remove a bracket and slide the valve in.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:30 PM
tharry8

Originally Posted by MonteC
I wouldnt worry too much about it.

But...

To drill the hole you have to remove and disassemble the entire valve body.

To put the sonnax valve in you just have to pull the valve body down from the transmission, remove a bracket and slide the valve in.
I will probably leave well enough alone then. I was thinking that my tranny might be telling me it was about to die. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:32 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, I just start mine in neutral. By the I get the seat belt fastened it's ready to go.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question