2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MIL on since I changed my spark plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:19 AM
ice01
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MIL on since I changed my spark plugs!

Hello all, New problem! Now I changed my spark plugs 4 days ago and I now have a MIL on. I changed to NGK V power plugs. Never drove it until now 25 miles later light came on! I have not went and had the code checked yet but I can bet it will be something to do with the spark plugs (misfire, etc..)Anyone else have these! Do they work alright in your vehicle? Let me know!

Old 10-05-2008, 12:30 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

basic thing to do is go get the code run. that will lead you in the right direction. never heard of a plug change throwin a cel.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Honez2323
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gap?

I'll ask the stupid question...are they gapped correctly? If so, I would recommend going with champion plats. I decided to swap my engine to a hemi, and one of the issues was spark plug fouling. It seems even if you gap the plugs and reprogram the computer, it only lasts a couple of months. I had bosch plat +4's, and my mpg went from 18 to 5.('01 ram 1500 5.2 man, k&n cols air intake, heddman shorty hedders, catback and msd 6 box and blaster II coil) I changed the spark plugs to champion and the gas milage was better, but the truck would stall while coasting if I pushed the clutch in too fast sometimes. I asked the question and the dealer said the programming only stays for as long as the computer has power. I don't know if they were full of crap or not, but now I have a new HEMI in my '01.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 AM
dodgeguy97
Professional

thats why you never use bosch there junk and ngk's are fine i'm using them and have 30,000 on them as we speak . i'm sure its not from the plug's unless you have a miss do you notice a miss . newer engine's need platnium's older engine's do not runing platnium's in an older engine is a waste of time the ignitions where based on copper core plugs unless you have mod's that require them

Old 10-05-2008, 01:34 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Perhaps you accidentally busted a spark plug wire or something. That doesn't throw a code in an OBD I system, but I guess it might in an OBD II like ours.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:49 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you happend to cross igniton wires, make sure you have the right firing order.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by motorbrreath
basic thing to do is go get the code run. that will lead you in the right direction. never heard of a plug change throwin a cel.
My truck will throw a misfire and run like **** if I use the Autolites. I ran them for 300 miles and developed a misfire on #5 along with dropped mileage. I reinstalled the Champions and it runs like a Swiss watch.

Originally Posted by dodgeguy97
thats why you never use bosch there junk and ngk's are fine i'm using them and have 30,000 on them as we speak . i'm sure its not from the plug's unless you have a miss do you notice a miss . newer engine's need platnium's older engine's do not runing platnium's in an older engine is a waste of time the ignitions where based on copper core plugs unless you have mod's that require them
Really? Bosch plugs are junk? That shows what you know, because many older European cars run strictly Bosch plugs. Also, Bosch holds the patent on the resistor, so every spark plug manufacturer has to pay Bosch a licensing fee.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
dodgeguy97
Professional

dodge isn't european your car was designed to run them not dodge good comparison

Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM
dodgeguy97
Professional

and yes obd1 will throw a misfire code on which cylinder

Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM
ice01
Banned

Lucky you, I have had several vehicles that I changed to platinum or other high end plugs (Accel) that caused me to throw a check engine light and caused severe missing.

Quick Reply: MIL on since I changed my spark plugs!