2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what oil should i use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:41 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what oil should i use?

[sm=wtf.gif]

My dream of being in Bisarro world last night must not have been a dream.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:46 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

[sm=wtf.gif]

My dream of being in Bisarro world last night must not have been a dream.
Wake up Todd........WAKE UP DAMNIT !!!!

Oh well, we lost another one.[sm=grin.gif]

Old 02-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Scootr
Professional

ORIGINAL: P.B.

FULL SYNTHETIC IS GREAT. THE ONLY DOWNFALL IS THAT A SYNTHETIC OILS VISCOSITY BREAKS DOWN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN A NON-SYNTHETIC OIL. CHANGING A SYNTHETIC OIL ON SCHEDULE IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.
P.B.
The advantages of synthetic lubricating oils (depending on the base oil) include: improved thermal and oxidation resistance; improved viscosity-temperature behaviour, high viscosity index (in most cases); improved low temperature properties; lower evaporation losses; reduced flammability (in some cases); improved lubricity (in some cases); lower tendency to form residues; and improved resistance to ambient media.
You just contradicted yourself. If you're going to make an arguement or point then provide proof ,ie. article,pics,etc...If synthetic is so inferior to dino oil then please explain why it comes in some high end sports cars straight from the factory. Not trying to flame but I cannot stand posts that cannot back up their points.

Old 02-09-2005, 03:44 PM
P.B.
Rookie

I DIDN'T WRITE THE BOOK I JUST READ IT. I RUN POLYMER BASED OIL IN BOTH OF MY DANA 60 AXELS WITH LOCKERS AND IN A TORKFLIGHT 727 TRANSMISSION WITH A B&M TOW SHIFT KIT, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO A COMBUSTION APPLICATION LIKE MY ENGINE, I CHOOSE TO RUN A NON SYNTHETIC OIL. I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY AXELS OR TRANS AND I BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. I USED TO WORK FOR A CONSTRUCTION COMPANY THAT HAD A FLEET OF OVER 600 PIECES OF EQUIPTMENT. WHEN THEY BOUGHT A PIECE OF MILLION DOLLAR EQUIPTMENT, ALL OIL SAMPLES WERE SENT OUT FOR ANALYSIS. AFTER A COUPLE HUNDRED HOURS OF OPERATION THEY WOULD FIND MOR CRAP IN A SYNTHETIC OIL THAN A NON. THIS WAS AFTER THE OIL RAN THROUGH MULTUIPLE GALLON IN-LINE FILTERS. TRUST ME, I AM NOT DISSAGREING WITH YOU THAT SYNTHETIC OIL IS FAR SUPERIOR OVER PETROLEUM OIL IN A LOT OF CASES. SOME IT ISN'T. EVERY OIL HAS ITS BREAKING POINT. AFTER THE POLYMER BASE MOLECULES IN A SYNTHETIC OIL ARE BROKEN, IT DOES BREAK DOWN A LOT FASTER THAN A PETROLEUM BASE OIL. IF YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL A PRODUCT, YOU ARE GOING TO CONTROL THE PARAMETERS IN WHICH YOU TEST IT TO OBTAIN THE RESULTS YOU WANT. MY POINT IS THAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO DO THERE OWN RESEARCH LIKE I DID, DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE TRYING TO SELL THE PRODUCT. TYPE IN SYNTHETIC OIL DISADVANTAGES IN YOUR BROWSER AND PICK FROM 500 DIFFERENT VIEWS.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:41 PM
nmason
Veteran

well i switched to mabil1 synthetic. my engine has never started so smooth before. transmission and rear end are next to be switched.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Cool, glad to hear it!!! the tranny will need a flushing to get all the old stuff out, or you can just start adding the synth stuff with the filter change. that's what I did. front and rear diffs should have synth in them as well...

Old 02-10-2005, 03:06 PM
ejazz

How often do you guys change the engine oil with synthetics? What kind do you use in the tranny and axles? When you just change the tranny filter and refill with synthetic, won't the two different oils react or do you drive it for a while and change it again to get most of the old oil out?

Old 02-10-2005, 03:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

you can just do the switch without any issues, I change mine every 3~5k miles. In my tranny I have the recommended dodge synthetic, which is currently mixed w/ the non-synth stuff. you'd have to do a tranny flush to get all the old stuff out. I think it also applies to the front & rear diffs...