2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to get LED Dome Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PURPLDODGERAMITMFERS
Why do you hate Sylvania's product?
Every Sylvania product I have ever purchased has been bested by something I have gotten somewhere else, and for about half the money; or lasted less than a year.

Their SilverStars, for example, are supposed to be white, or so they claimed at one point. The 9004s are yellow, and compared to other $20-$30 bulb sets I've tried, the almost $60 SilverStar Ultras are worse.

I purchased a taillight bulb once for my Dakota, couple years ago. Figured I'd give Sylvania another chance, supposed to be one of their Long Life ones. It lasted 6 months, so then I bought a GE bulb. Never had to replace it again.

Tried the SilverStar Ultras when I was debating converting my 9004s to 9007s. Yellow crap, GE's Nighthawk bulbs outperformed them.

I'm not a GE guy or anything, but their stuff at least works, and works well.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Kindschi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper37
Dude, just make one yourself. I made my blue LED dome light last week. Cost me about $9.
Im not good with making my own stuff, at least when it comes to electronics, I tried LEDs on my bike and got tired of all the damn resistors. I'd rather just pay for it and know it works rather then waste my time trying to save a buck.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to get all of my stuff from a small company on eBay called Velocity LEDs. I do not know if they exist any longer, a search for them turned up nothing. I believe V-LEDs might be the same company renamed/different user name, as I have also purchased stuff from them, and it turned out well.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Viper37
Banned

Originally Posted by Kindschi
Im not good with making my own stuff, at least when it comes to electronics, I tried LEDs on my bike and got tired of all the damn resistors. I'd rather just pay for it and know it works rather then waste my time trying to save a buck.
Resistors aren't complicated in the least. Go get 4 high intensity LED's from Radiocrack that are in the 3V range, then connect each one to a 1/2watt 470ohm resistor (yellow, violet, brown) Mine cost me actually less than $9, and is very bright.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Viper37
Resistors aren't complicated in the least. Go get 4 high intensity LED's from Radiocrack that are in the 3V range, then connect each one to a 1/2watt 470ohm resistor (yellow, violet, brown) Mine cost me actually less than $9, and is very bright.
After driving to Radio shack and getting the supplies plus having to do the labor its probably just cheaper to buy the Led off ebay... I mean its alot less complicated to change the bulb then to make it.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Trey318
Captain

http://www.oznium.com/
They have dome light kits from 12.99-24.99 and seem to be pretty good quality.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also check out www.superbrightleds.com.

I've purchased a few things from them in the past... no problems...

Good luck!
Cartman

Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I'm a member at Oznium so had checked that out and also checked out super bright leds but I can't find bulbs at either site that are the size I need. The dome light kits at oznium aren't just leds replacement bulbs they are like a circuit board with leds all over it.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

I just joined Oznuim today, alot of products. Im thinking about buying the LED tubes for my uderbody... And I know alot of people think its to Ricer but it will get me some looks at the local carshows

Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by Kindschi
After driving to Radio shack and getting the supplies plus having to do the labor its probably just cheaper to buy the Led off ebay... I mean its alot less complicated to change the bulb then to make it.
I agree here. I'm pretty electrically inclined however, I don't want to spend $9 making my own when I can get one for $10 on eBay and not spend gas going to Radio Shack and time making it.

I could also probably make the Oznium things work but I want something that just replaces the OEM bulb that would easily be able to go back to stock.

I like Neons still and have blue ones in the older Accord. I know it's ricerish but I think they look good. I've thought about putting them on the interior of my truck but honestly it gets expensive fast especially for something that doesn't often get used.

Quick Reply: Where to get LED Dome Lights