2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dad is involved , fliping the bill for the most part , just do as he wish , if he wants you to go the the dealer for the trans then just do it .. Unless people on this forum want to send you the funds to get the aps trans or what ever , money talks , and no you will not get any "goodies" like a shift kit , that will void the trans from the dealer ..

Old 10-12-2008, 09:45 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I WANT the APS? Yes. PA understands my situation though. My dad is helping me out, he is backing me, and understands I was lied to by this creep. My dad will have no sympathy or respect for me if I defy his wishes and try to buy a performance unit. Do you gys think the dealership would add a heavy duty torque converter, or will that void the warranty as well?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:19 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Do I WANT the APS? Yes. PA understands my situation though. My dad is helping me out, he is backing me, and understands I was lied to by this creep. My dad will have no sympathy or respect for me if I defy his wishes and try to buy a performance unit. Do you gys think the dealership would add a heavy duty torque converter, or will that void the warranty as well?
A HD torque convertor ??? Or do you want a different stall ??? For towing , low end Torque , then want to keep it close to the stock stall as possible ( moves at 1100 rpms ) you dont want a 4500 stall ( moves at 4500 rpms) then your damn near at the end of the power band .. Here another idea , talk to the dealer and ask , i do alot of towing what kind of trans do you have that will do the work ?? some times you can get a trans design for a 2500 with a gas motor which would be a little bit more of HD then whats in the 1500 , call the dealer and see what they come up with , wont hurt nothing and still keep dad happy....

Old 10-12-2008, 10:35 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I agree with you. I'll call them Tuesday afternoon to get some information about that. I appreciate your understanding, and the helpful tips.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:45 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I understand the situation you are in but I also see it as you are now agreeing that this "creep" as you said lied to you. Well, we all told you that before you ever bought it. Didn't we tell you to get a APS or Dr. Evil then and that the shop wasn't a good idea? Well, we were right about that so why do you think a local place trying to sell you stuff now will be a good idea? I think you should go more with what people have used and like than what people selling a product tell you.

However, I don't know maybe a APS isn't the best option for you I'm just saying I don't know that the dealer is either then again it may be.

Honestly, maybe you should slap a transmission in there from a junkyard and sell it. It sounds like from other posts you have lots of issues and the truck has been abused before you got it so who knows what else will go wrong.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I've worked hard to rebuild this truck, it's running great. If it wasn't for this transmission, I'd be an extremely proud owner. The frame and chassis is in supreme condition. The body is absolutely immaculate. The 4wd engages and disengages seamlessly. The truck idles at 700 rpms...dreamy. And she sure sounds and looks beautiful. I plan to keep this truck, it's very unique and I just like older trucks, reminds me of being a younger kid being around my dads truck and his heavy equipment. I'll talk to the dealership tuesday. I like what PA suggested, I'd like to see if they offer a heavy duty product. I don't know how new england is even going to respond, and I'm not completely sure what I'm going to decide what to do.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

another option is to find out which local company is affiliated with this highly respected Canadian rebuilder and modifier of transmissions for Dodges:

http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm

it is also a good idea to read up on the basics of your trans internals
and their limitations:

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33

while I do not dismiss the advantages of having the local dealership install
a 'stock' replacement,
various model year automatics still have
inherent problems that Chrysler ignores:

http://www.sonnax.com/announcements/SC-46-47RHE.pdf

http://www.specialtytrans.com/specia...sler_index.htm

Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont forget that this is a forum for help , so people are going to be coming on here with problems with there tranny, 46re tranny isnt bad , unless you dont take care of it, i have 126xxx on it and i beat it, and its fine , you take care of it , it will take care of you.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:09 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I agree with that. And I'm not your typical owner. I'm a freak of maintainence. I will be doing transmission flushes every 15,000 miles, I'll have the deep transmission pan, and the external transmission cooler. I'm suprised how long my stock transmission lasted. 106,000 miles on a very poorly taken of truck with 35" tires is not too bad. It now runs the appropriate sized tires with a very responsible owner. I will take every step possible in maintaining the transmission. The minute something starts acting up, I will bring straight to the dealership before anything grows. If the transmission were to die at 100,000...I would have the money and the ability to take out another loan and just buy another one. Will, I love ya buddy, but you even said yourself your sick how much you've put into your truck. I think if I put over $4,000 into the transmission, I'd be devastated if I ever had to sell the truck, because who knows what could happen, that's what really makes me sick about the APS...

Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah I know, I do understand what you are saying. I hate how much money I've got into my truck now and it's still not exactly like I want it. The transmission was a large part of it but realistically only a little over half of what I've put into it. I still have a few dings and dents I'd love to have taken out and have it painted and then it would be about perfect. I have like 2 or 3 dings in the rear quad cab door as a tree branch knocked the cb antenna off and it came down and hit the door. I think 2 of them could be pulled out with the paintless dent removal but the 3rd one has a scratch in the middle of it so while it could probably be made look not bad it would have a scratch still. Then the front door on the passenger side has a dent where the door was swung too far forward. We changed the hinge but it's still a dent from where the lower hinge pulled in. I got a quote to fix that but don't have the money I want to throw away on that right now. I think it was $750 or so from a really good body shop to fix it. Then it would look bad as behind each tire has rock chips from the tires sticking out so if I was to have it painted there and only the other 3 tires had rock chips it would look bad. I don't like fender flares but I think I might need them as tires sticking out plus no flares equals rock chips. Overall it's still in decent shape you just can see light scratches and imperfections once you get close. The dent I've had several people not notice until we got close and I pointed it out. They all said they wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out. Someday I may get it fixed but I hate to right now when the paint will probably still get dinged and scratched up since I drive down a gravel road to on of our places and going hunting and stuff like that. So I have to get it scratched some. Most of the scratches could probably buff out though.

Anyway, I kind of understand what you are saying it is a lot of money I just think it's a amazing product but you may not need that.

Quick Reply: Transmission Suggestions