2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Suggestions

I'm pretty confident at this point that if I do get my money back from my existing transmission, I will go straight to the dealership and have them install a stock transmission with their 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. I wanted to know if there was anything about the transmission that I should ask them to beef up such as the torque converter. Would a heavy duty torque converter improve the life of a stock transmission? Any other tips would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:34 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Haven't we been over this a few times before? If you want that mopar trans, go for it. You are going to do what you want too anyway. You realize you won't get that much better warranty work from a dealership right? If your trans goes, they will blame it on you. When my front axle was damaged (water got through the vent tube somehow... truck was never offroad and was baby'd its first few years) and brought in for warrenty work, they had an insurance adjuster come out and since the damage was over 1000 dollars, the warranty work was declined and was paid out of pocket even though the truck was less than a year old bought brand new off the lot. To this day im am still completely clueless as to how water got in that differental. Anyway, the consensus before was to go with APS. What made you change your mind now?

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 10-11-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, I have been reading through a bunch of old posts, and I've never seen someone who throws their money away and is so clueless. Why do you even post on here when you do not take anyone's advice? We are around the same age, and I can't imagine going in circles like you do. I don't mean to just bash you, but my god man, you come up with some of the most ridiculous things. After you get this trans, how long until you post on here about "racing my brothers F-350" and spinning your new tires. Then what, a month later, "uhh, it won't shift out of first"?

Old 10-11-2008, 05:03 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

It's easy for people to come on here and pretend like they know other peoples situation. I asked a straight forward question, there shouldn't be any reason for people to second guess my judgement or my thinking, it's rude and uneeded. You don't know me, and you don't know why I am leaning towards a stock transmission. I can list several reasons why I'm leaning towards a dealership transmission. Besides, I'd like to know how many people here rave get an APS but don't even have one.

1.) Long warranty.
2.) No excuses for failure.
3.) Local Installation, Local Maintainence.
4.) Half the Price (Go through two stock units for one APS)
5.) Excess money can complete payment of loan.
6.) Life is short and I may sell the truck. I'll never get back what I put into it, esp. an APS.
7.) Simple resolution to transmission ordeal.
8.) Chrysler is easier to go after if something does go wrong.

Those are some simple and key reasons why I'm leaning towards an APS. Does that sound clueless. Think again before you try to downplay my thought process. If I get my money back, I do not want to be cought in the middle of trying to send my money across the country and make it a big weird situation. Now back to the question I asked. Is there anything I can ask to be added to the stock transmission that could aid in the longevity of the unit. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to a stock tras have them do a small shift kit. It worked wonders for my truck

Old 10-11-2008, 06:46 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Thanks for the tip laramie. Do you know what the purpose is for a shiftkit, and what symptoms does it usually alleviate? Also, what did you notice it did for your transmission?

Old 10-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It changed the shift ponts, It shifts at higher rpms and shifts harder

Old 10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

What they are really doing is changing the valve body so that it shifts differently, more crisply. Stock transmissions normally shift very soft, the soft shift equates to more slipping of the clutch packs as is engages the gears. A shift kit, upgrade of the valve body, will make the shifts a bit more firm, but ultimately should increase the life of the clutch packs.

I just had one done on my 128K mile transmission and it is pretty nice. All things being equal, it should extend the life of my transmission a bit more. That and when I go to have it rebuilt, the work is already done and will reduce the cost of the rebuild. (if I take it back to the same place)

Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, like I said, I didn't mean to just bash you. Just make sure that you get all the paperwork stating that you have a warranty and everything. Sounds like a common sense thing, but there are places out there, including dealers, that will let you leave without proper documentation and then turn you away when you come back with a problem. These guys are right, a shift kit will probably help you. Like sharpshooter said, a stock trans usually shifts softly, for more "comfort" while driving. This is hard on the tranny, and firming up the shifts should increase the life of your new transmission. If you don't mind me asking, did you get a quote for the work, and how much does the dealer want?

Last edited by Bob5151; 10-11-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

They problem you might run into (which is why I didnt suggest a shift kit) may be that it may void the warrentee. The dealership buys the trans and puts it in. You may get lucky and find a dealership that would put in a shift kit, but.... it may bite you in the **** if the trans does fail. Now they can blame it on the shift kit. That's why the APS trans would be specifically designed for you and guarrenteed for all the parts he puts in. I know im going with the APS next time the trans fails. Also remember that you are putting in the same transmission that has already failed on you once before. Do things right the first time. Wish ya luck as always

Quick Reply: Transmission Suggestions