2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ram 2500 v10

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM
abdodge1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

I have a 2000 ram 1500 5.9 and I get pretty decent gas mileage in it as long as I don't mash it very much. I love the v10 rams, they can pull anything but good gas mileage isn't one of their strengths. they are good and very reliable trucks though, and they also have a heavier duty transmission in them.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 AM
pennell

So...I'm gonna be a brat here and wonder why you didn't take it in and get it looked at when you first noticed a problem with the vehicle?
Call me cautious, but if any car I drive starts acting up I take it in and get it at least looked at as quickly as possible...

Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 AM
ramboss97

Originally Posted by pennell
So...I'm gonna be a brat here and wonder why you didn't take it in and get it looked at when you first noticed a problem with the vehicle?
Call me cautious, but if any car I drive starts acting up I take it in and get it at least looked at as quickly as possible...
I did!!! I was told at that time, that the amount of anti-freeze it was using was of no concern-- that it was too little to do any damage. (Even while working her hard, i.e., snowplowing) it would use about a gallon of antifreeze in a 6-8 WEEK time frame. And that the lean condition was probably just intake manifold gaskets, or a dirty fuel filter (which is in the tank).
I took it to the local Dodge dealer some time later (March 2009-- and by that time she would rattle HARD when I started her, ESPECIALLY when cold) and had them check it out. I watched the mechanic open the hood and fire it up, and of course it rattled like an old corn binder. He just shook his head, and walked toward the door to the parts Dept, which where I was watching him from. I met him at the door, and all the said was "It's terminal". When I asked him where the problem was, he said "bottom end". Well, I had no reason to doubt him, but I did ask around. I have an old friend of mine who's been a OTR truck driver for some 40 years, and has a pretty good knowledge of engines-- so I asked him what he thought. He said "Well, if it IS bottom end, why the hell has it lasted this long? Trust me, if it WAS bottom end, she would have let go a LONG time ago." And of course, he is absolutely right.
You also asked why I didn't get it fixed right away. Well, my main profession is a Carpenter, and finding work for the past several years has SUCKED. So having the funds to ovcerhaul or replace the engine simply ARE NOT there. As it stands TODAY, the truck isn't worth MAYBE $1000, so fixing her now isn't cost effective. Like my dad used to say "It doesn't pay to feed a dead horse".
Personally, I'll probably sell her to the local auto salvage yard-- get maybe $750 for her--and cut my losses. Personally, all I can say in addition is that Dodge should have axed the idea of V-10 as soon as the thought entered their minds. I, for one ain't-a-gonna miss it.

Quick Reply: ram 2500 v10