2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

geared for towing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
madman269
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default geared for towing...

ok my truck has the factory tow package...i have redone the cooling system...but heating up is not the problem...now it came from the factory..and i have the build sheet...but the rearend is geared at 3.55!!!!! this is the second time towing this trailer..the first time was down a nice somewhat flat highway...it was allright..but we tried to go to the coast for the weekend and every little grade she just started slowing down..it was patheteic...gutless wonder...so i am going to regear the rearend...so the question is..who has done this...should i go with 4.10 or the 3.92...the truck is stock with a 360....and for the ones who have done it regeared..did it help...thanks guys again....

Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Fist, I hope you're not towing with Overdrive on. Turn it off, it will save your trans and improve towing performance.

If you're set on regearing, yes it will help. I'd go to 4.10's. 3.92s won't be a big enough difference (IMHO) to justify the cost and if towing heavy loads is your main concern, I'd go a bit lower to the 4.10's.

BTW, mine had 3.92s stock, so I do have some experience with that ratio. That said, I can tow a 5k boat and trailer combo with my truck on 35s and 3.92's without issue. It eats gas, but hey.. its a truck. Just make sure Overdrive is off.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 PM
madman269

yeah we sure the od was off......i had done some homework....but you got 3.92....i figure our trailer wieghs in at about 6000...loaded....tires are stock....so i will go with the 4.10...it drops mileage anyway....and we use a 4 banger for our commuting..most of the time....so where is a good place to buy from....was thinking of summit racing...and does anyone know any links so a person can figure out how to do the swap....i am pretty good at mechanics...so i can do it if i have something to expolain the procedure..thanks....

Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on your tire size, it may not lower your MPGs.

Try Randys Ring and Pinion for purchasing the gears, heard good things about them.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 PM
bcdalton
Professional

I have the 4:56 and love them. They do an awesome job for towing. They perform very well, especially going up steep inclines. I pull a 25' Outback TT dry weight 5400#. Loaded I'm at 6400 #'s and I'm glad I have the 4:56. For towing, anything is better than the stock 3:55 gears. You will definitely see a performance difference with the 4:10's also, for towing. Another mod that is great for towing are the Harland Sharp 1.7 RR's. They help in the low to mid range power band. Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 PM
madman269

hey bc about the Harland Sharp 1.7 RR's...i may be stupid...but what is that...i have know idea....thanks

Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
madman269

never mind roller rockers der.....i dont want to go internal on the engine...if i dont have to.....knock on wood...thanks

Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

diesel power magazine did a how to on replacing gears in the august edition i believe. it may be on their website, its a start at a how to. but i know alot people on here have done the swap as well. i dunno how many did it themselves though.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:05 AM
WesV
Rookie

Basically to set up a rear end (or front end for that matter) you replace your ring and pinion. In doing so you have to set your pinion's preload via shims and you have to set your carrier with the ring gear via shims. Sounds simple enough, but requires several specialized tools such as a case spreader among others

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

That is a link to the gear setup guide on the Pirate4x4 site. It is pretty comprehensive and detailed so you can get an idea if it is something you really want to tackle.

I am doing the EXACT same thing you are and regearing my 2500 to 4.10. Now I am gonna pay a shop to do this for 1 reason, the labor warranty.

I have setup the gears in my trail rig, but that never sees above 35-40mph and I want my truck to be no questions asked reliable when I have 8-9K lbs behind me.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:58 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

My truck came from the factory with 4.10 gears and I love 'em. I've towed a utility trailer around with motorcycles, random stuff, and always felt like I had power. Had the trailer loaded down with a sleeper sofa, oak desk, oak dresser, a lay-z-boy, oak end tables, wood headboard, random boxes, had the truck bed filled with boxes, and it pulled all of it great.

Quick Reply: geared for towing...