2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid Flipping "Eyelids" Bug Shields...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:41 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stupid Flipping "Eyelids" Bug Shields...suggestions?

The title says it best...I have a bug shield that goes across the main hood and then 2 "eyelids" over the headlights. Everyone warned me that they come off easy and never aligned right...did I listen? Nope! And now I'm just pissed off.

Does anyone else have these and what did they do too keep them in place? I've tried the double tape, sticky crud, 3M tape and even placed bumpers underneath. NADA they still loose and misaligned!

I've thought of actually drilling a small hole into my front fenders and put a bolt through to hold them there but before I did that I was wondering if anyone had suggestions?!?

Any help would be great! Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Beats me, man. I put the 3 piece set on in 03 or 04 and everything is still perfect. The eyelids are super solid. I do remember using the alcohol wipe and taking my time aligning them but they've not budged in all these years and miles.

Just thought of something else....my kit came with little round "bumpers" that I stuck behind the shield. If those aren't there I suppose it could flap in the wind and come loose? But I know what you're feeling. I had the same issue with the window vent shades. The driver side kept coming loose no matter what I tried. It would flap and scratch the paint going down the hwy so I finally ripped it off and it snapped in half. Oh well.

Last edited by Ramman18; 10-27-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Viper37
Banned

Just out of curiosity, why do you have it on there? I had one for about 6 months and just took it off.

I didn't like how it looked and it really didn't do anything that I know of.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

I like the way it looks and the people who first installed them...messed up and I didn't realize they were rubbing on my paint so now I have paint damage under them.

That is why.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

viper37,bug sheilds help with chips on the front of your truck,alot.i think thats actually why most people put them on.and looks.

donnt drill a whole in your truck,you'll wish you didnt later.

get the red 3m tape. make sure you clean it good. then wipe it down with alcohol. make sure its good and dry. and the warmer it is the better. take your time line them up and stick them the first time. and rub the heck out of them so they stick good. learned all of this by trial and error unfortunatly.lol

Last edited by talon6; 10-27-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:37 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

how much of the tape should be used? odd question I know but should I just line the complete bottom or 2 spots or 3 or what u think?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:40 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

,Funny,.. My center-piece wanted to lean how to fly one day on the highway and,
flew about 200 yards into a corn-field before landing. Stopped, went back to get it,
it was broke in all the places that those little rubber things had helped keep it off
the paint. (I've been driving the truck now for a year with JUST the Eye-lid thingys
on there) with no signs of them ever wanting to come off! Go figure,.. Wish I could
find just a center piece for a replacement.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:06 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

A basic search on ebay or a local call to a 4x4 shop can get you one...they are the most sell type. Eyelids are harding to buy individually.

I didn't have the bumpers for the center piece as mine sticks way out from the hood.

Should be interesting how they look when I put my new purchased brush guard on...should be here in a week, so hopefully 2 weekends from now I can install it. If I don't get lazy I will do a quick DIY on it.

Bought the Hunters type...best price that I found and seems good quality...will let you all know!

Quick Reply: Stupid Flipping "Eyelids" Bug Shields...suggestions?