2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird pinging issues...need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:57 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow looks great, i've alway wanted to set my truck up like yours.. rr,tb,e-fans,hv pump,gears...ect .........but this just push the bar to high.lol... nice job on this project

Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not too high, just get after it. I learned all sorts of little tricks doing this install:

2. Coolant temp sensors can't be torqued very tightly at all.

1. If you need to drill or tap into the water jacket while it has coolant in it you can quite easily. Just coat the drill bit or tap in really thick grease and the flakes from the drill or tap will stick to the bit and the coolant will push out any extra bits.

2. If you can't get the tap handle into position to tap a hole for threading (they sometimes can be quite large) you can use a 12 point socket that fits the tap end and start it by hand before you go to the ratchet. It works great!

3. There's a small tab on the accessory bracket (not the "front" tab, but that also needs to go) that makes removal of the T-stat housing difficult. If you grind it down, the T-stat housing comes up and out pretty as you please.

4. PB Blaster makes a great fuel injector O-ring lubricant.

5. Nickel anti-seize is your friend.

6. Never drink Diet Mountain Dew while working with antifreeze.

The Hughes kit was $730 bucks, If your looking to upgrade your intake, I recommend it.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Default Squirrel's gone wild!

I think I finally have this one nailed down! (sprints to cabinet and knocks on wood feverishly).

The ping returned after a few miles on the new intake, last night I had a misfire on the highway and I freaked! I replaced the IAT, the MAP sensor, Crank Position Sensor, swapped out the T-stat for a 180* and it still pinged.

In a last ditch effort, I remembered that had not run a can of MCCC. I pulled the #7 plug just to check it, It was BLACK around the bottom threads with carbon and the tip was sightly deformed. Pulled them all and they looked horrible (especially for only about 6K on the plugs):
Those might be hard to see without a Zoom feature, but trust me they were spent.

So, I replaced them with the set of NGK Iridiums I had been hanging onto for after I fixed this issue, The engine ran like butter! NO MO PING! I've just run a can of MCCC to clear out the combustion chamber.

I wasn't done there. I got to feeling like there was too much PCV blowby, so I went to Home Depot and picked up a Air compressor fiilter, brass fittings, and some tubing for about $40 and fabbed up a catch can for the PCV.

I'll be checking up on it to see what I catch. Here's a pick installed:

I hope I'm done with this issue

Old 01-03-2009, 02:50 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I hope I'm done with this issue
i hope you are too

Air compressor fiilter good idea.... and zip ties can be your best freind sum times

Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, Squirrels that is the same water separator I have on my compressor set up. Don't know for sure, but I think they are only separate water from a positive pressure air stream. Not sure how that will work under negative pressure and trapping oil. I think that's going to defeat your PCV system.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

one way to find out... dunk the pcv in a cup of oil while running. see if the oil ends up in the filter, or passes through.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

PCV is positive crankcase ventilation. It should work, if there's excessive oil.

I just got the Flashing CEL again while driving (12 flashes) but I sure didn't feel a miss.

What the hell is going on? I'm going nuts here.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 PM
lv360ram
Captain

If you got the flashing CEL after installing the new plugs, and if the flashing CEL means multiple misfires then it seems like the problem would be wiring related, like the wiring from the computer to the coil or an intermittant ground connection.
With all the things you have fixed on your truck, you may be able to start a business fixing Dodge trucks that the dealerships can't fix.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

LOL, if only I could fix my own!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

The catch can seems to be working, I had about a spoonful in the bottom today.

Quick Reply: weird pinging issues...need help.