2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Found some new power!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:16 PM
ice01
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Found some new power!

Hey I installed a 14 x 3 Eldebrock AirCleaner and Breather on Saturday. I know some of the forum said they did not gain much with doing this mod, but I definately can tell a difference and I love the sound. Truck shifts stronger and sounds louder. Glad I did it, also I saved over $300 by going this route vs a "cold" air intake kit. Thanks to all who advised and sent me the S-Bolt specs to make it all fit. Changing T-Stat to 180* in a day or two then changing stock exhaust to a Dynomax UltraFlo. Cant wait to hear it.:

Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you'd see better performance from the cold air intake... sucking in hot engine air will is not good... you need cold air to make a dense charge for better burn off.... you can fab one up pretty cheap.. i've seen everything from PVC to flexible dry vent hose

Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've read much on this forum you would know that others have tested it and get just as much power from the round air filters as they do the CAI's. The CAI's still draw hot air from the engine bay and since these trucks use the pleneum design the air gets hot after the intake anyway.

Most seem to like the round air filters better than the CAI's. Silver has tried lots of different setups.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by iwhitne
I think you'd see better performance from the cold air intake... sucking in hot engine air will is not good... you need cold air to make a dense charge for better burn off.... you can fab one up pretty cheap.. i've seen everything from PVC to flexible dry vent hose
I too have the open air cleaner intake. She was hissing like crazy when i started her up this evening. I love the sound With all due respect iwhitne... the open air cleaner is a great alternative to the traditional CAI. Even the cai's you speak of... also let in "hot air" from the engine. Basically unless your hooking the vents to the fog light holes for your intake or doing ram air... your still sucking hot air with a pvc setup or some others whether you wanna believe it or not. Also it has been discussed on here numerous times that the amount of air is more important than the temperature. Im not completely convinced, but I will tell you that running it in the winter time is both entertaining, and fun. I swap back to the old setup with a K&N filter in it during the summer time. Do what you got to do I guess. Btw, my intake cost was $7.87 to my door with a 2" filter. I swaped the filter, but the cost of this setup is no where near what other pay for those other CAI. My buddy just paid 300 for a setup for his hemi. Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:02 PM
ice01
Banned

Hey everyone calm down! LOL.. I love the hiss and definately got some improvement in my throttle response. When it all comes down your engine is an air pump bring alot of air in and put alot of air out =more efficient engine and more power. For those who choose to spend $300+ on your CAI hey its your money, sorry about your luck! For those who have done what I did or are thinking about it I say do it. My Eldebrock 14x3, 1/2 inch spacer, and my crankcase breather set me back a total of $50.00.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i want to put a shaker hood on mine. true ram air. if you want cold air, hook your a/c vents up to your air intake!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

hahaha... I'm not saying one is better... it's just my opinion.... maybe I like to think it helps more? lol I'd like to fab one up to bring in air from the fog light holes... something to do.. glad you all love you tin hats!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i like my orange K&N. this spring i plan to put Mopar valve covers and air cleaner with a top end rebuild(sorta?)

Old 11-05-2008, 06:26 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ice01
Hey I installed a 14 x 3 Eldebrock AirCleaner and Breather on Saturday. I know some of the forum said they did not gain much with doing this mod, but I definately can tell a difference and I love the sound. Truck shifts stronger and sounds louder. Glad I did it, also I saved over $300 by going this route vs a "cold" air intake kit. Thanks to all who advised and sent me the S-Bolt specs to make it all fit. Changing T-Stat to 180* in a day or two then changing stock exhaust to a Dynomax UltraFlo. Cant wait to hear it.:

Would you please let us know if your check engine light comes on after installing the 180 stat?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by lv360ram
Would you please let us know if your check engine light comes on after installing the 180 stat?
i put a 180 on like 4 months ago, no engine light, and alot cooler, and runs better on those hot summer days, and in the winter like now it blows hot air so im happy for a cheap mod

Quick Reply: Found some new power!