2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converting SLT to sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 PM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting SLT to sport

I love the look of 2nd gen sport rams, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on my SLT. I saw a post a while back on a guy that converted his SLT to a sport, I tried doing a search a couple times but couldn't find anything so I was wondering if anyone had any experience. I think even just buying one of those plastic grilles off e-bay and painting it black would look good. Anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the nasty chrome and improving the look? I'll try and add a picture of my truck. I bought it back in march with 60,000 miles, club cab, 5.9, 4x4 for $7,000.

Last edited by BigDubDiesel; 03-27-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 PM
sk8ordie
Professional

im curious as well

Old 11-05-2008, 01:05 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

You'll have to redo the entire front bumper. These pics were borrowed from LMC Truck to illustrate the difference in front bumpers. First is a non-Sport model bumper, second is a Sport model bumper.

Last edited by jasonw; 11-05-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Kindschi
Veteran

Painted front bumper (99-01 So you get the newer style, fog lights are lower and more under the headlight) Painted Grill, Painted rear bumper, Painted Taillights, Dual Bulb headlights (w/clear lenses) and if your tailgate has the black plastic on it at the bottom that needs to be swapper for a sport tailgate without plastic.... Thats all I can think of that needs changed, ohh and if you have any SLT Logo's on the truck they need to be removed, And Possibly rims, I think sport had there own style of rims apart from the SLT but I may be wrong.

I believe there 100% Identical under the hood and suspension wise unless you want the Off Road edition then you will need suspension mods to equal out. I may be wrong and If I am im sure someone on here will correct me.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sports did not get any special rims from the factory. Your steel chrome ones would still be correct for a Sport. You'd also have to remove your black molding from the doors. Sports did not get the molding, although I dodn't know why, they are great for helping prevent dings, they could have just made them painted to match.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 PM
AFultz87
Talking

actually the Sports did come with their own rims. It's short of like an off grayish plastic rim. I think they look kinda bad, so just stick with yours or an aftermarket one. I'm dumping mine for some 18s

Old 11-05-2008, 02:21 PM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie

I knew everything the swap entailed I was just curious to see anyone that has actually done a swap or if anyone had any pictures of just a painted grille on an otherwise SLT truck.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AFultz87
actually the Sports did come with their own rims. It's short of like an off grayish plastic rim. I think they look kinda bad, so just stick with yours or an aftermarket one. I'm dumping mine for some 18s
No they didnt sport model trucks could be ordered with any wheels that came with the SLT package. I've seen sport model trucks come with wheels like mine(painted 5 spoke), the 3 spoke aluminum, and the chrome steel wheels. In my ipinion, the 3 spoke aluminum wheels look best on a sport, and the wheels like mine look the worst. As for the emblems and black plastic, that is up to you, but if you want to take it off, use a plastic scraper and a heat gun($25 total lowes).

Last edited by PurplDodge; 11-05-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AFultz87
Sports did not come with a different selection of rims. They didn't come with special lifts, or suspension options, or special tires, or special paint, or anything you couldn't get on an SLT, besides the 250 horsepower rating as opposed to the 245 on the regular 5.9L equipped Rams. I don't know why so many people seem to think that a Ram with the Sport package is some beefed up wonder truck. [/Rant]

Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Why would they list the sport at 250 and the non at 245 if there identical? Not questioning your post as to if its true or not im just curious why its not the same on sticker if they are the same truck except a few body features.

Quick Reply: Converting SLT to sport