2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight "sanding" vs. Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Weber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight "sanding" vs. Replacement

I just purchased a 2000 1500 Sport 5.2 4x4. The headlights are yellow/cloudy and it bugs me. I have done some searches about replacing the headlights and also sanding the headlights. Does the sanding and polishing the lights really work? Is the yellow/cloudiness only on the outside of the headlight? If so, why are the marker lights on the sides clear?

I have looked at Ebay motors and found some OEM "type" replacement for under $200. I don't mind replacing them if I have too but if the wet sanding and polish will work I wouldn't mind trying that method.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, you can sand them, no it won't last more than 6months if you don't coat them with some sort of UV protection. 3M makes a nice little kit that only requires a hand drill.

The headlights yellow before the markers because the halogen bulb heats the headlight casing much hotter than the running lights and the UV coating breaks down much quicker. Also the headlights get the full on "ram air debris" effect of daily driving.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done the polishing before, and it looks great fo like 6months then they turn yellow again. I would call oreilys and ask them what their prices are I replaced both of my headlights for under 100

The polishing will last longer if you truck is garaged most of the time. if it would be outside all the time just replace the headlights

Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

His is a Sport. Going to cost a lot more to replace the headlamp assemblies than a non-Sport like ours, Laramie1997.

Normally, eBay is pretty decent with headlamp prices. Cheapest set of Sport assemblies I've seen on there were around the $150 mark for both, $90-$100-ish singly.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried sanding.. failed.. I just replaced mine... there are good sets on Ebay that go for around $125 deliverd and only take about 20min. to install! SAVE YOUR POOR ELBOWS AND REPLACE THOSE FADED LIGHTS!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hhave the same ones as iwhiten. there awesome there easy to put on compared to halo ones i put in on my buddies 98. there like 130 on ebay. i bought the black housing to match my truck , but you can get chrome also. hope that works

Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Weber

Thanks guys. I did the sanding thing last night and I am not too impressed. It did help some but not what I was looking for. I will take a look at ebay. Thanks again for your support.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
IRPancake1

Originally Posted by Weber
Thanks guys. I did the sanding thing last night and I am not too impressed. It did help some but not what I was looking for. I will take a look at ebay. Thanks again for your support.
its your first time doing it, what grits were you using? Try something called plastx (by meguiars) on a buffer. If you're not impressed after that then good luck

Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Weber

Originally Posted by IRPancake1
its your first time doing it, what grits were you using? Try something called plastx (by meguiars) on a buffer. If you're not impressed after that then good luck

I used 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and Plastix. Not sure if I should have spent more time on 600. I was doing it by hand and I think I spent about 10 minutes per grit. It cleaned it up but not as clear as the marker lights.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 PM
IRPancake1

When I did my headlights on my car, just using sandpaper and no polish (at first) it took me about 30-45 minutes per grit. You have to knock out the step below's grit lines before you can move on. Get some 800, and go back and restart if you dont want to go and spend a bunch of money on new lights.

I do this as a side job, and most of the time you dont even need to sand if you have just haze. Light scratches or chips you still would only really need to dip down to 1000 or 1500 to get them out. I had to sand my own headlights because I had rock chips.

Quick Reply: Headlight "sanding" vs. Replacement