2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant dissapears

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:13 PM
ramsey041587
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant dissapears

Saw on here a post about pretty much the same thing but couldnt find it on the search option.
Pretty much same senario,coolant dissapears by the gallon.I fill it up,its gone by the end of the week.Air condition works,but barely blows.Heater is luke warm if at all.I smell no burnt coolant,no white smoke or hickups during idle.Thought it to be heater core,but wouldnt I see coolant on the floorboard?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

leaking heater core will produce steam on inside of windshield, and/or sweet smell in the cab, and/or wet spot on the floor on passenger side.

squirrels recently found a leak from one of his freeze plugs. a very small leak will evaporate and not be very visible.

could also be head gasket, radiator hose, t-stat housing, radiator leak.

could also be water pump leaking from shaft seal. might see a drip from the bottom of the wp.

edit - you might want to do a pressure test.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-11-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes I did have that happen, I need to get a pic of that freeze plug posted up.

You could also have an internal leak into a cylinder that burns off and out the tail pipe. Have you checked your oil lately? Is it milky or grayish? do you notice any bubbling at the rad fill port while the engine is hot and idling (take cap off BEFORE you warm it up.)

Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 PM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was having the same thing happen, i replaced the bypass hose and the thermostat again, and thermostat housing gasket, and havent had the problem since! it was probably the easiest thing it could have been for me. but just another suggestion.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start looking for an external leak on the engine. It will be white. Check over hoses and the radiator. Check your oil. It could be internal or the heater core. My core had a small pinhole leak and the floor never felt wet.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
leaking heater core will produce steam on inside of windshield, and/or sweet smell in the cab, and/or wet spot on the floor on passenger side.

squirrels recently found a leak from one of his freeze plugs. a very small leak will evaporate and not be very visible.

could also be head gasket, radiator hose, t-stat housing, radiator leak.

could also be water pump leaking from shaft seal. might see a drip from the bottom of the wp.

edit - you might want to do a pressure test.
Not always. Pinhole leaks, like what I had, won't produce steam.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thread sidetrack, VW - did you ever solve your overheating problem ? what was it ?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, although with the cooler weather the truck runs cooler. I'm thinking it's the lack of the tarboard that goes next to the radiator and possibly an air pocket. I'm going to get a bleeder "T" and that magic funnel and bleed that be-yotch pretty soon and get this problem solved.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can get a plastic bleeder T as a part of those Prestone radiator flush kits you can buy at Walmart. I have one that's sealed with 2 small hose clamps.

I have a small hole in my T-stat (1/16" or so) that usually helps push the air through the system. I also drive my passenger side front wheel on a rhino ramp when I bleed it. After about ten minutes of running, I don't see bubbles no mo.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bled mine the easy way. Jacked the front up with a three ton lack, took the radiator cap off and started it up. Squeezed the top hose and got lots of air bubbles out of it. No gurgling any more.

Quick Reply: Coolant dissapears