2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LSDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSDs

My next project I'd like for my truck is to have a Detroit TrueTrac installed in the rear differential. I'm sad that I lost my factory LSD, but I suppose it's for the best considering it has clutches. I called an offroad shop yesterday, and he wanted $2,000 for LSDs in front and rear. So I think I'll focus on getting the rear done up for now. I asked him if having a front LSD would make a difference in the winter. He said they actually can make it worse. He said if you trying taking a turn, you might wind up going straight. Is this accurate, or is having an lsd in the front and rear a good thing?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Which LSDs was he going to install? Detroit TruTrac, or some other?

I've heard having a LSD in the front axle on dry pavement isn't nice on the truck, but thats just what I've heard, I have no personal experience. It does make a whale of a difference when you have one in the rear, I'll tell you that. My 1995 Dakota I used to have had a LSD in the rear, one thing I wish I would have looked at when buying my current Ram.

I plan on getting one for it someday, maybe when money grows on trees.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a locker or LSD in front... you'll probably want to add some manual hubs to disconnect the axles or you could see some issues...

Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I wouldn't put a LSD in the front if it was me. If I did anything I'd do a selectable locker but honestly unless you wheel it hard and get stuck a lot I really don't think you need anything up front as far as a LSD or locker. I would just put one in the rear and be done with it.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:58 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

BTW any updates on the transmission situation?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:43 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

here we go again! Sorry sorry I had to say it! I am just jealous that I don't have the money to make as many changes as you want...$2k a lot of cash for me but I hope it goes all well for you.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

I have an Auburn LSD in the rear and an Ox up front. An LSD would probably be ok up front since the CAD would make it a non-issue in 2wd. Unless you need the added traction all the time in 4wd, I don't know that I'd put it up front. An LSD wouldn't be as bad as a locker though. It's already tough turning in 4wd without some kind of traction aid. Although an LSD is smoother and not as hard locking, I still don't think I'd put one up front. And especially if you've got a 1500.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Aubrey
I have an Auburn LSD in the rear and an Ox up front. An LSD would probably be ok up front since the CAD would make it a non-issue in 2wd. Unless you need the added traction all the time in 4wd, I don't know that I'd put it up front. An LSD wouldn't be as bad as a locker though. It's already tough turning in 4wd without some kind of traction aid. Although an LSD is smoother and not as hard locking, I still don't think I'd put one up front. And especially if you've got a 1500.
I wish everyone else would understand that fact before they post. When in 2wd, the lsd acts as an open differential because it needs torque to engauge. I only put my truck in 4wd when im offroad, or if there is lots of snow on the ground, as im sure Neon would. Also, if you read it says that the limited slip performs seemlessly in the front and have read that they are virtually unnoticable. They are the same for the rear and thats why I was so ..... for getting dual lsd's in my truck, until I came back to reality and realized how much my truck was worth. She is a reliable, but I can't see dumping that much in my truck when the value is so little. www.kbb.com its sickening. That said, I have a brand new 0-3" Thuren trackbar for sale in the classifieds. It's brand new and painted. Looking to re-coup some money back out of it.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 11-12-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Oh, for all you guy's who arn't sure whether its a good idea or not, check these out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuzTYgbdSBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQxn8qTtcIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XS1H1-V1M

Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

That's where I originally got the idea from. For now I'll focus on getting a Detroit TrueTrac for the rear. I'd like to get it in before winter starts, but who knows. The mechanic that helped me with the rear differential last summer said he'll put it for $100, can't beat that. I'd love to have that safety factor in the winter up here in Maine, or when I do the occasional off roading session. Thanks for the information guys.

Quick Reply: LSDs