2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP - I need new tires and have some questions. RETREADED TIRES/

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAKD RAM
A few more dollars lol, try like 1,000 more dollars. Like I said if they sold new tires for 500 bucks i'd be set but during this crappy economic times I don;t have 1500 bucks for tires and winter is approaching fast and my truck is down right now and I need it running asap.
Is there a reason your saying stay away from retreads?
I understand, but you are throwing good money at questionable investment. You will end up spending way more in the long run using retreads. They have the potential to cause you all kinds of grief. You will go through at least two sets of those than a set of the lowest price new that you can get.

The problem with retreads is that passenger tires are not designed to be retreaded. Rubber breaks down over time and it is impossible to get a good bond of the new tread to the old carcass. You see tread all over the highways as it is with truck tires and those tires are deisgned to be retreaded. There is a reason that you are not allowed to run retreads on steering axles on big trucks. In addition to that you also have no idea how the tires were treated before they were retreaded. They could have been beat to death and you have no idea. Retreads are just not worth the risk.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
JAKD RAM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sungod
I understand, but you are throwing good money at questionable investment. You will end up spending way more in the long run using retreads. They have the potential to cause you all kinds of grief. You will go through at least two sets of those than a set of the lowest price new that you can get.

The problem with retreads is that passenger tires are not designed to be retreaded. Rubber breaks down over time and it is impossible to get a good bond of the new tread to the old carcass. You see tread all over the highways as it is with truck tires and those tires are deisgned to be retreaded. There is a reason that you are not allowed to run retreads on steering axles on big trucks. In addition to that you also have no idea how the tires were treated before they were retreaded. They could have been beat to death and you have no idea. Retreads are just not worth the risk.
Hmm I did some research today and found this info of facts: Seems their not to bad....
RETREAD FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q. Where does rubber on the road come from?
A. The rubber pieces you see on the road come from both new and retreaded tires. It is important to note that most of the rubber on the road comes from truck tires and is caused mainly by underinflation, overloading, and tire abuse. See Rubber on the Road: Issues & Answers.

Q. Are retreaded tires really as safe as new tires?
A. Yes. Adjustment percentages of retreaded tires are about the same as with new tires. Statistics compiled by the U.S. Department of Transportation show that nearly all tires involved in any tire related accidents are underinflated or bald. Properly maintained tires, whether new or retreaded, do not cause accidents.

Q. Do any standards (federal or industry) control the quality and safety of retreaded tires?
A. Yes. Passenger, light pick-up, and 4x4 tires are retreaded according to standards established by the U.S. Department of Transportation and carry a code number (**) on the sidewall indicating where and when the tire was retreaded. Due in part to the standards established by the truck retread tire industry, the U.S. Department of Transportation has not developed regulations for manufacturing retreaded truck tires. The overall quality of retreaded truck tires has increased dramatically in recent years with the introduction of high technology, including the use of computers in manufacturing and non-destructive tire testing.
As with passenger car tires, most problems with truck tires can be traced back to poor maintenance (primarily underinflation) and abuse (overloading). See: The Importance of Proper Tire Inflation

Q. Can I buy retreaded RADIAL and HIGH PERFORMANCE tires?
A. Yes. Steel belted and non-steel belted radials and high performance tires are retreaded. Since high performance tires are usually manufactured with cap plies, the retreadability of the original tire casing is greatly improved. See Retread Tire Buyers Guide.

Q. Can retreaded tires be driven at highway and interstate speeds?
A. Yes. Retreaded tires can be driven at the same legal speeds as comparable new tires with no loss in safety or comfort.

Q. How long will they last?
A. With proper maintenance and care, retreaded tires will provide the same amount of service as comparable new tires. Retreads tread life varies from the same as a comparable new tire to 75% of a new tire. The variables here, relative to a comparable new tire are, 1. Retreads often start with less tread depth, 2. Due to casing conditions, the retread footprint may be smaller/narrower then the new tire, 3. Trailer tires are removed from service for reasons other then wear out over 80% of the time, especially with in-line haul service.

Q. Are there any driving conditions where retreaded tires should not be driven?
A. No. Retreaded tires can be driven wherever comparable new tires can be driven. The only restriction is on the steer axle of busses hauling passengers.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM
JAKD RAM
Rookie

Most retreaded tires even come with a warranty, to bad their out of 33" tires and I can;t go any smaller than that so i'm back to square one unless someone knows of another retread place other than treadwright.com.

Is anyone aware of any other retread places that sell 33" + tires?

What is the cheapest 33"/12.5/17 tires there are? I'm asking about new tires here, not retread. the lowest i've seen are 200 each and thats still to much $ for me. hmm this sucks!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:13 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course the guy selling the tire is going to tell you that they are safe, but you should never take the word from the guy selling them. Here is a good video for you to watch. I know this is about tire age, but this is a good reason why you should not retread tires. http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Old 11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
zique
Captain

Jakd, I have some used 33 x 12.5 R17 SXT's that will get you through one season if you want to buy yourself some time to get new tires. They aren't great, but like I said, they'll buy you time.

They are on a set of off-road rims, but I can pull them off and sell you just the tires if you want. $100 + shipping and all 4 are yours.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 PM
JAKD RAM
Rookie

I'm still looking for tires if anyone knows of an 33" or 35" / 12.5 / 17 looking more for the more agressive beefier tread.

I sent you an e-mail Zique.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 AM
JAKD RAM
Rookie

bump, still looking.....

I need an agressive type of tread, more like mud or off-road style, not the street tire tread type design.

33/12.5/17

or

35/12.5/17

I can pay around 5-600 for a decent set if anyone has anything please e-mail me at fettersjm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude, no offense, but you are looking for an aggressive tread type of tire, and you are trying to go a very cheap, potentially unsafe route to get them. Tires are one thing you don't want to skimp out on. Retreads are asking for trouble. Have you tried Craigslist? You might find a decent deal on there in your area. Do you really NEED 33's, or is that a want? When I bought my truck, it had the crappy stock size 245/75/16's on it, and while I hated them, I lived with them until I could afford new tires in the size I wanted. Maybe you could find a smaller set for your truck, like 265/70/17 or something, just to tide you over until you can afford the ones you really want. Not trying to lecture or anything, but you don't want to be doubting your tires when it's wet or snowy out, it's not a good feeling.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 PM
JAKD RAM
Rookie

Yah i'd rather just get the agressive tread type, if i'm spending the money why spend say 400 on a set of stock tires and then have to turn around and spend 12-1500 more the next year. now i'm up to 1800+ and then I have to deal with shipping twice, mounting and balancing twice etc. So yes i'd rather get what i want rather than buy something and then turn around and buy new ones when i know i won't have the money then either.

So yah i'm looking for some used tires, over 50% tread life for cheap and I don't think thats an unreal goal to find used tires that i want. Someone has got to have some used tires that are still in decent shape that'll last a while for half the price of new.

I've already tried craigslist, I look on there every day for tires. Something is bound to come up, i just post here in hopes someone here has a set they may want to sell? Or know of a place or someone selling some.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I thought about the smaller tires and weighted my options and i want to go with the size I had before.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 PM
JAKD RAM
Rookie

Hey thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I found some 35/12.5/17 Pro Comp Mud Terrain tires with half tread left for 350 bucks. Heading out tomorrow to pick them up. Driving a big truck isn't so bad now that gas is under 2 bucks. Take care guys.

Quick Reply: HELP - I need new tires and have some questions. RETREADED TIRES/