2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ok, off topic in a way, about a loan for my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:40 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, off topic in a way, about a loan for my truck.

I read about a thread before about taking out a loan for your truck, and I'm in the same boat that dodgeneon or whatever his name is now is in.

I'm thinking of taking out a loan to get a new tranny, gears, throttle body, and throwing in another tune up and refreshing my royal purple, need some new shocks as well.

If I take out a loan of 3-4k which I doubt I can even get, I want to know from everyone with experience if it is worth it.

Otherwise I may have to sell my truck for what I can for something else. And I dunwanna.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Vader
Champion

I know you dunwanna but if you take out a loan, you will be buying all your parts new and for the most money. If you find something that already has the modifications you want, you may be able to get it at a faction of the price. Also, you will never get back the investment that you make in parts for your current truck.

Eh, something to think about.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

loans must be secured by something. either the value of the truck, or your parents home equity, or possibly someone's good credit rating. the value of your truck is not enough to support a $4000 loan. as collateral, its not worth much. maybe $500-1000. the bank will ask - why do you want the loan ? when you answer - to fix up an old truck, they'll say... uh, no.

the next thing to consider, suppose you fix it up, insure it, and immediately crash it. what's the most the insurance company will pay you for your loss ? maybe 2500. so you'd still owe money on a truck you couldn't drive.

don't borrow any more than $1500 to fix the transmission. don't add extras - like wheels, TB, or gears unless you can pay cash.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:18 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Yeah I aint for loans at all. I just can't figure out how to beat what will probably break down soon. Got some thinkin to do.

Lookin at some smaller 4x4's for when gas goes back up too.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

DH, do ya think any of my sensors my be the culprit for my truck running craptastic?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe i missed it, but i didn't see any particular engine problem. if the engine rpm's seem to do right, and it revs to 3000 rpm right, and runs reasonable smooth... but just won't go past 60, combined with your shifting and humming problems, i'd suspect it to be transmission trouble only.

a simple test on catalytic converter is to temporarily remove the front 02 sensor. if it runs a little better and revs up higher, then you could go ahead either gut or saw off the cat and see if that helps.

from your other transmission posts it sounded like it was shot. i don't have any good advice here. the risk of getting one from a junkyard is high, as it'll just be another oem transmission and may/may not be any good. if you trust them to warranty it, it might be ok, some places warranty isn't worth crap. if you could get a junkyard one cheap, with a warranty that they'll back, it might be worth a shot.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

So it seems like if my tranny is shot, my truck is shot. If it's not worth a loan that is. Man if they'd raise wages instead of all this fuel/tax crap in politics, people could live better.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:15 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

The rich get richer and the poor struggle...gotta love it....uggg!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

No kidding. I can turn my OD off and drive about 55 at about 2300 rpms and it runs ok.

aggravating I cant go faster than that without that "wummm" sound and the rpms whipping up to 3k+ without moving anywhere.

APS tranny sounds nice about now ... cmon stimulus check 2...

Quick Reply: Ok, off topic in a way, about a loan for my truck.