2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tune-up: plug,cap,wire recommedations

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

that is what happend on my S10(which has a DIS ignition) and caused me to never use ACCEL coils.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:45 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you check the gap on your plugs when you change them. i had a couple that were off a little.

i have autolite 3923's,accel coil,msd 8.5 wires,borg warner brass cap and rotor,no problems.

Last edited by talon6; 11-14-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I've only heard people repeating that they have failed often, but haven't really ever heard first hand info that they have failed except yours now. Hopefully purple will bring up some threads of this for me when he gets the chance. I hope I am wrong, but I can't bash a product that is still working they way it was supposed to for me. Heck, thats all I ask for.
I wrote a whole thread on this. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/175799-accel-or-msd.html Maybe you can read the third post. And what do you mean by that you havent heard first hand info? My S10 is first hand info.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:57 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PURPLDODGERAMITMFERS
I wrote a whole thread on this. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175799 Maybe you can read the third post. And what do you mean by that you havent heard first hand info? My S10 is first hand info.
Yea, like I said in the post it's not the first time i've heard that the accel coils are bad. I hear a lot of people repeating that they are bad, but how many are going off of someone else? As in... other people have mentioned about them failing. I didn't remember this post for some reason which is surprising since it wasn't that long ago. It probably didn't stick because that was for your s10 app. If you bought edelbrock headers for your s10 and they didnt turn out right, would that mean that edelbrock headers for dodges are bad too? Just trying to say that while you may had a failure under accel, doesn't mean there all bad. There was another guy in this thread who sided with you on a failure, but there was another guy who sided with me. Im not trying to start stuff, but just putting it out there to toss around.

- - Edit

post 15 in that thread you sent is a longterm success story for the accel coil. Im just betting you got one bad egg out of the batch.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 11-14-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

I prolly just got the retard in the batch of coils. Or it failed because my S10 is a 4cyl running at 3500 rpms most of the day(gotta floor it on the hills), and there are about 300 pounds of tools and equipment in the bed and back seat. Also, we put about 600 miles on it a week. Its just that you hear a few people saying the ACCEL coil is bad, but you dont hear people saying that the MSD is bad. This makes the Accel failure rate higher than the MSD. I am just saying that there is more risk to buying Accel coils than MSD. If i told the guy that Accel coils are good, and he gets one , then it fails, i gave him bad advice. The MSD has proven to be the better coil, and thats why i recomended it to him in the first place. "It is better to be safe than sorry."

Old 11-14-2008, 04:16 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Also read HankL's post in that link above.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading MSD Coils tend to burn out Spark Plugs faster than OEM or Accel Coils, but are indeed better from a performance perspective. I think Driving habits affect tune-up performance more than anything. Harder you drive, more performance-upgrade type brands your better off with. Daily Driving under 2100 rpm's most of the time, go with the cheaper stuff. I like my Champion, Summit, OEM Coil setup, but next time I'm going with a NAPA brass cap/rotor, MSD Wires, and maybe NGK plugs, or the Champion Truck plug.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:27 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

I have had a Duracrap cap and rotor on my truck for 20-30,000 miles. I probably need to change it.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with Autolite 3923's since they are very inexpensive and have pretty good reviews and have had no problems, but I may try Champion Truck Plugs next time to see if I can tell any difference...I have the 8.0mm Jeg's Hotwires ($30) and really like 'em. I went to Napa and got my brass cap and rotor.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i may also try the truck plugs next time just to see if they are any better.

Quick Reply: Tune-up: plug,cap,wire recommedations