2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still no Heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:15 AM
sungod
|
Veteran
Default Still no Heat

I am about to just pour some gasoline and light a match to get some heat. I have flushed the core, changed the water pump, replaced all the hoses, flushed all the fluid, replaced the thermostat and housing, and still have no more heat than what I started with. Yesterday it was 65 degrees and the heat coming out of the vents was only about 120. The manual said that it should have been near 150. Both heater hoses are hot to the touch. I am ready to throw in the towel. I don't know what else I can change. I guess I will tear apart the inside. The only thing I could see inside would be the blend door or maybe clean the core with a coil cleaner.

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:19 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Is the blend door opening all the way? Are you certain you don't have an air pocket?

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:29 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

The heater core can still be corroded ,because flushing can't/won't get it all out if it's really bad.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:20 PM
sungod
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Is the blend door opening all the way? Are you certain you don't have an air pocket?
not really sure. I haven't got into the inside yet. I have flushed it several times so I doubt there is anywhere for air to be trapped. It flows fine when I pull a hose.

Originally Posted by zman17
The heater core can still be corroded ,because flushing can't/won't get it all out if it's really bad.
Is that a problem on these trucks? I would think that if it was clogged that it wouldn't flow well. It flows very good. I would hate to spend several more hours replacing parts that are still working.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Is that a problem on these trucks? I would think that if it was clogged that it wouldn't flow well. It flows very good. I would hate to spend several more hours replacing parts that are still working.

True! And I think you should look and see if the blend door is working first. But, saying it (heater core)flows well is comparing it to what? And yes it is a common prob. (atleast as far as getting a leak goes) If you are going to pull the dash to clean the heat/ac box out, I wouldn't put it back together without putting in a new heater core. And an evap. core for the ac for that matter.

Old 11-16-2008 | 02:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

"quote"not really sure. I haven't got into the inside yet. I have flushed it several times so I doubt there is anywhere for air to be trapped. It flows fine when I pull a hose .

And BTW, Flushing it has nothing to do with air trapped inside. It's when you refill it when air can get trapped inside the system.

Old 11-21-2008 | 10:24 AM
sungod
|
Veteran

The heater core flowed well when I flushed it. I pulled off the hoses and hooked up my garden hose and turned it on. There was some crud that came out, but I flushed and back flushed it several times with little resistance so it does not seem to be obstructed.

I then used the prestone flush kit. I would think that the high flow of water would be enough to push out any trapped air. Looking at the design of the core, I don't see any place that air could be trapped except that the heater hoses seem to be higher than the radiator, but a decent flow of coolant should force that out. Air isn't going to stop the flow.

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Like I said, the trapped air is only when you fill it. And just because you think you flushed it and it flows good doesn't mean the heater core is flowing fully like it should. But, at this point I would agree that the blend door is not working or the heater box itself is full of leaves and debris and the door is not working properly or the box itself is just plain clogged up.

Old 01-13-2009 | 09:50 PM
zooberman
Default Blend Door

I have been reading up on the no heat issue since I have no heat as well. It's been -30 to -35 celcius here and I can't take it anymore. Did the "burp" on the system to rid the system of the gurgling sound behind the dash, both hoses to heater core are hot, just does not blow any hot air. How do I go about checking the blend door if it is working correctly without tearing the dash apart in this cold weather. thx in advance
Also, is there a detailed step by step process listed on this site on replacing the heater core?

Old 01-14-2009 | 01:03 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Quick Reply: Still no Heat