2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008 | 06:11 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

they didnt tell you what it was? thats not a very good shop.

Old 11-29-2008 | 06:52 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

Sorry, I guess I didn't give enough detail. The u-joint was replaced mid summer, then my axle seals were replaced last month or so. Then since the axle seal replacement, I would hear a clunk. I stopped by the shop to mention it, and we discovered the u-joint had play in it. But we weren't sure if that was the clunking.
So, the shop tested it and said they didn't hear it, and on the ride back from the shop i didn't hear it either.

Its a decent shop, just wished they wouldn't smoke in the garge... my truck stinks soooo badly for a day or two when i get it back. I have to drive it home with the windows down and leave them down over night. ugh.

I have another shop about 1.5miles from my house, I took my VW there and my Ram there, each time they ripped me off. So I take it to this other shop my father knew the owner and their family. I don't really get any big savings, but I get straight talk and know its done right.
This u-joint was more than likely defective from the factory. (I hope).
LOL

I was worried this clunking was from a bad lower ball joint.
I am going out today to get a xmas tree, so i will listen for the clunk.

*or maybe you are right and the owner's son worked on my truck and missed a step.

Last edited by 98DodgeRam1500; 11-29-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Quick Reply: loud clunk