2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best Cold Air Intake????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Grr287
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Cold Air Intake????

Steve, i forgot to ask.......your gas mileage didnt happen to increase a little did it? cuz if so.....that would be awesome.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:28 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Install the kit like the directions say however what you'll need to do if you want the 7x9" filter is to relocate the shield back towards the firewall an inch or two. Otherwise it'll pop off from the intake tube because it's under stress from the shield not letting enough of the flange to mount onto the tube... hope that makes sense. what i did was to drill a new mounting hole for the shield and add a spacer to the mount where the shield mounts next to the radiator, then make sure the bracket for the fender is setup so the shield is between the bracket and the firewall... you'll know what I mean when you get the kit.

the 7x9" filter was an awesome upgrade to the stock FIPK kit, gave me a better balance of low end power & high end HP. I like it and recommend it (remember I have the 1/2 ton 4x4 QC so my truck is pretty heavy).

I insulated the heat shield to prevent it from getting hot, and heating up the air on the filter side of the shield, may not be necessary on the ram but it was on the BMW so I just did it anyway.

Another thing to do is to insulate the fuel rails with an insulating tape to prevent heat soak on the fuel rails... this will keep the fuel dense so that it wont expand and contriubute to pinging...

hope this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know, PM me if I dont see a post...

Old 02-14-2005, 02:03 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Grr287

Steve, i forgot to ask.......your gas mileage didnt happen to increase a little did it? cuz if so.....that would be awesome.

if you want the most mpg out of your truck I'd suggest the following, get the NGK o2 sensors, NGK plugs and a 52mm throttle body... if you look at all of my mods most of them are geared towards low end torque. right now I have a good balance between upper end HP and low end torque and I get roughly 14 mpg (last tank anyway) and it'll haul *** when I need it to. Make sure your plenum is not leaking and if it is, get an aluminum plenum kit to fix it. the new mopar gasket sucks, I know cause I have it and mine is leaking.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Grr287
Captain

Thanks for all your help, Steve. You're a cool guy. I'll let you know how everything goes with the C.A.I. (may not be for a while tho). Later.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about if there is something differnt about the intake for this truck from ones for cars or not. I know I visit a Honda Forum as I also own an Accord and they all say just buy a cheap intake on eBay and then buy a good filter like a K&N and put it on there. It will preform the same as a K&N or AEM. Basically it is just pipe with a filter the Filter is the only thing that would make a differnce. Maybe there is something differnt on the Dodge trucks about them but I know on the other vehicles I have seen them put on and stuff I have read about them you can get just as good of preformance at a lot cheaper price by buying it off eBay then buying a K&N filter.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:24 PM
doziersdodge
Professional

I went with the K&N before I went with the Volant. Both are priced the same but the Volant gives you the option of adding the ram air. The K&N did not fit mine cause I have a remote trans filter and it was in the way. I have the Volant with an aluminum dryer hose as the ram air. It is very nice. It is also thicker plastic than the K&N. I did have an issue with getting a good seal on the TB but I think that is with all ram TB's. One of those crazy dodge designs???

Old 02-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Airaid had a hard time getting a good seal too. I agree, it's a dodge thing more then an air intake thing.

steve00ram360, have you thought about removing the rubber panel that is up front on the radiator support on the passenger side of the pickup. I read that doing that allows a lot more direct air into the area right around your filter.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:44 PM
moparmania
Veteran

i had the same issue with the mac intake i use..i went to the dealer and got a second tb base seal o ring now its sealed damn good

Old 02-15-2005, 02:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

My Airaid had a hard time getting a good seal too. I agree, it's a dodge thing more then an air intake thing.

steve00ram360, have you thought about removing the rubber panel that is up front on the radiator support on the passenger side of the pickup. I read that doing that allows a lot more direct air into the area right around your filter.
that was gone the day I installed it. Ram air may or may not help, it depends on how much your motor is trying to draw in. you will never get any positive air pressure from it but it's a good way to re-direct fresh cooler air to the filter area...

Old 03-01-2009, 01:48 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished doing my homemade CAI. I've been running it without a heatsheild. I just finished building one and I hope to feel a differents. I find it hard to spend a boat load of money on something I can do myself. Grant it K&N and those companies have the technology to optimize results, but that's just me. To each his own, right?

Quick Reply: Best Cold Air Intake????