2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anti freeze disappears out of the blue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 PM
ramario99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anti freeze disappears out of the blue

ok , i have a 1999 dodge ram magnum V6 and since i have it (about 1 1/2 years) i have noticed that i refill it with coolant, after a couple drives, it disappers leaving only a small very small amount in the tank. and the wierd thing is that it didnt seam to cause any problems, until now. the tempeture suddenly rises and i have to turn the truck off so it can cool and it cools right away. it doesnt look like it leaks because i have never seen any puddles under or anywhere on the truck nor inside the hood. i have checked the oil an it doesnt seem to be contaminated with coolant. also i dont smell the coolant also. where is the coolant going???

Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Keegan
Professional

How many times have you filled it? Could just be really low on coolant...

Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
ramario99
Professional

since i have it i have been filling like every 3-4 months

Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a split in the heater return line that runs along the valve cover? I had a leak there that dropped on the exhaust manifold and evaporated before it ever got a chance to pool.

Also check to make sure you don't have any dripping coming from the heater core feed and return lines. That usually indicates the heater core has some pinhole leaks.

Other likely spots: both hose connections to the radiator, the thermostat housing, the bypass hose, freeze plugs on the bottom of the block.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 PM
ramario99
Professional

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Is there a split in the heater return line that runs along the valve cover? I had a leak there that dropped on the exhaust manifold and evaporated before it ever got a chance to pool.

Also check to make sure you don't have any dripping coming from the heater core feed and return lines. That usually indicates the heater core has some pinhole leaks.

Other likely spots: both hose connections to the radiator, the thermostat housing, the bypass hose, freeze plugs on the bottom of the block.
there is something on hose that connects to the radiator, it always seems wet could that be it? does the coolant escapes from there because of the pressure?

Last edited by ramario99; 11-19-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:17 AM
mikey0469
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it could be a leak between your intake and heads....if you havnt noticed a power loss, or the engine missing its not leaking into the combustion chamber...if its not any of that, id drop your oil pan to check for water there. it could be leaking around your lifter rods and going down into your oil pan

Old 11-21-2008, 08:09 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check out your wet spot, sounds like a likely candidate. yes you have moderate higher pressure inside your cooling system, so its always trying to leak out. the pressure is at its highest for about 15 minutes after you shut off the truck. thats a good time to inspect for leaks. if you don't find it, you (or a shop) can run a pressure test.

^umm, no need to drop the oil pan. if you have water/coolant in the oil it will appear as a milky white film on the dipstick. when that happens, its officially a bad day.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 AM
ramario99
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
check out your wet spot, sounds like a likely candidate. yes you have moderate higher pressure inside your cooling system, so its always trying to leak out. the pressure is at its highest for about 15 minutes after you shut off the truck. thats a good time to inspect for leaks. if you don't find it, you (or a shop) can run a pressure test.

^umm, no need to drop the oil pan. if you have water/coolant in the oil it will appear as a milky white film on the dipstick. when that happens, its officially a bad day.
so why wouldn't the coolant appear on the driveway?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:11 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran

head gasket

Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ramario99
so why wouldn't the coolant appear on the driveway?

Because it is evaporating on the block, radiator, intake or exhaust manifold, or even a hot hose.(only takes a pin hole)

And what is this thing you say is connected to the radiator hose? Are you talking about the heater hose that goes into the firewall or the hose that connects to the radiator?

Quick Reply: anti freeze disappears out of the blue