2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ticking noise. [Long read sorry!]

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 AM
DodgeFan01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise. [Long read sorry!]

Howdy guys, I browsed through other threads couldnt find anything similar.

This started about a month and a half ago. My truck would randomly start making this click metal-sounding noise whenever I would give it gas. The more gas I gave it the faster it got, if I left off it and coast it, it would stop.

The noise sounds like when you were a youngster and you would pin a baseball card on the spokes of your bike with a laundry pin, as the wheel spinned it would flap against it.

It started when I drove for about 10 minutes and got to class. Then I went home which was about a 20 minute drive, 15 minutes into the drive it stopped, but that was after going up a very steep hill and running at a higher RPM for awhile if that info helps at all. It stopped once I coasted down that hill, couldnt hear it anymore, gas or coasting after that.

Rewind to today, again another 20 - 25 minute drive or so, windows were up cause it was freezin, and with the Flowmaster 40 I wouldnt be able to hear anything, when I get into my neighborhood I roll down the windows and could hear the ticking noise again!

This time I could hear whether I was gasing it or coasting, the noise would change all depending if it was gasing, turning a corner, coasting, etc. Even when I breaked it would change sound.

I was told by a bunch of Chevie guys to check the U-Joint on the drive shaft, looks fine. I changed my rear differential fluid about a week ago, the gears look great although I did find some very very small and maybe 8 little pieces of what appear'd to be metal, but they didnt stick to the magnet at the bottom of the diff. they were just sitting in a pocket that was lower then the rest, so naturally it sunk in there.

For about a year now, another noise would always go in and out, everytime the tire would do a 180 i'd hear a minor tap noise, kinda like something stuck in the tire pattern, couldnt ever find it, it was different noise, not as loud, not as consistant. After searching all over for it my dad and I figure'd it was the break pads. They had about 40% left of pad left about a month ago.

The noise definately sounds to be on the outside, and somewheres in the back. Please dont tell me it sounds expensive as it appears >.< Could my break pads be unevenly worn, or ****tie? I never checked the drums, just the front, which was probley a bad idea not looking at both.

Truck info: 1998 5.9Lt 1500, Quad cab [The half doors] short bed, susp/body lift on it with 37's if that info helps at all. Only other aftermarket stuff is exhaust and sissie step bars. Truck has 132k miles.

its definately in the back somewhere, not infront around the engine, or under me, cant hear it with windows down, but my truck is somewhat loud with the FM40. Sounds like its around the tires/rear diff. Im on top of air filter, oil change, dist. cap, spark plugs, blah blah, I keep her healthie!

Sorry for the very long post, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:21 AM
bigster
Professional

Hi,

The first noise could be a heat shield somewhere around your exhaust that rattles, try to bend them a little and see if that changes anything.

The second noise: no clue, maybe check your drums as you said.

Greetz,

Bigster

Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
APA228
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack up the rear and put the truck on jack stands, put the tranny in neutral. Turn each rear wheel and see what you hear. The brake drums could be slightly out of round or the hardware could be bent or loose inside. There are a lot of parts inside drume as opposed to discs. If you locate the noise to one spot when you turn the wheel mark the place on the drum and backing plate so you can pull the drum and reference the 2 marks to see what is causing the problem. You should see a bright spot some place where there is metal to metal comtact causing the sound. Have fun!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

You can't look at u joints to determine their condition. You have to push back and forth, parallel to the u joint t. Unless the needle bearings are falling out, looking won't tell you much and just a little play could cause a clunking. But, I doubt the clicking noise is u joint related. More likely in your brake drums, or you might have something wedged in a wheel that is hitting on your drums dust cover.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:31 PM
DodgeFan01
Professional

Right on guys, thanks for the advice, always helpful here. Im gonna try and get to it this weekend when I have some time off. Will let ya know.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a slight ticking, too, but I think mine is either a small exhaust leak or some lifter noise.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise. [Long read sorry!]