2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:49 AM
xecutech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about transmission

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum, and to Dodge trucks, so I have a question about the transmission.

I bought a 97 Dodge Ram today, used, with 175,000 miles on it. The truck looks good, but normal wear and tear, and it seems to run really strong with no visable problems like smoking or oil leaks.

I am concerned about 2 things. First, when slowing down to stop, it feels like a small short jerk when downshifting into first. Oh, and it's an automatic transmission. It appears to upshift smooth though and it doesn't do this everytime. It is possible it could be something in the brakes, but feels like the tranny.

2nd concern is a missing line. On the passenger side, at the bottom of the radiator, there seems to be a line that had been cut off. Looking at some pics online, I am thinking it is the transmission fluid cooling line? Why would someone remove that, and could this maybe have something to do with the first issue?

I know this was a long post, especially for my first time. Thank you for any advice or suggestions on this.

-Tom

Old 11-23-2008, 05:50 PM
xecutech

Ok, so ignore the new guy I guess!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone could have installed an after market trans cooler and cut the factory lines and bypassed the radiator. Its hard to say exactly what is going on without looking at it.

As for the jerk downshifting, you may have a sticky valve in the valvebody or a worn out valve. Try a bottle of red Smartblend.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
xecutech

Thank you for the info montec. I will look and see if they have been re-routed to an aftermarket cooler.

I will also pick up a bottle of the stuff you recommended to try for it.

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
ophidia
Captain

<hijack> Is Smartblend available in auto parts stores, or only from lifeautomotive.com? </hijack>

Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ophidia
<hijack> Is Smartblend available in auto parts stores, or only from lifeautomotive.com? </hijack>
I havent seen too many parts stores carry smartblend. We carry it at my shop, only because we use it in every transmission we build. We sell parts out the front and build transmissions in the back. So we also sell alot of smartblend to other shops and many off the street customers swear by it.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM
ophidia
Captain

Nobody probably has it here in Fargo, then, I'd bet. I'll order some off of the website. My tranny is behaving similarly to his. Do you just add it to a full xmission or siphon some fluid out then dump it in?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ophidia
Nobody probably has it here in Fargo, then, I'd bet. I'll order some off of the website. My tranny is behaving similarly to his. Do you just add it to a full xmission or siphon some fluid out then dump it in?
Just dump it in. Its only 10oz. Make sure you shake it up well and only add to a fully heated transmission, then drive it for a good 15 minutes.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM
bigsquat

is it like pro-lube

Old 11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
ophidia
Captain

Ordered. Thanks for the tip. OP-- thanks for the thread to hijack :P

Quick Reply: Questions about transmission