2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ophidia
Ordered. Thanks for the tip. OP-- thanks for the thread to hijack :P
OP--hijack..what is this 4chan now?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsquat
is it like pro-lube
Smartblend is UNlike anything else.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
OP--hijack..what is this 4chan now?
It keeps things organized and respectful.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
lifesavin

I am having a similar issue with my tranny. Which of the SmartBlend products are you saying to use? I noticed that there are several different one to choose from.

Andy

Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

red bottle.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:36 PM
xecutech

I noticed after a trip to KY this weekend that my transmission pan had fluid dripping off of it. I checked the dipstick and it appears to be overfilled. Could it having too much fluid cause the problems I am having?

I bought the gasket kit and filter and plan on attempting this myself. I feel pretty confident that I can handle this project, but hope I don't make too big of a mess in the driveway. I wish they had a drain plug!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

No, ive never heard of it causing that kind of problem. You never know though. You can buy a drain plug install kit. One of the BEST investments for a vehicle.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:06 AM
xecutech

Well, I went and got everything, I think, I am going to need to tackle this project. It's sort of cold and rainy today, but I do have a car port.

2 questions about fluid/filter replacement:

How long should this take?

Does the fluid shoot out the sides once the pan is loose, or does it run straight down? I bought the largest drain pan I could find and don't want to make a mess all over the pavement!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It'll start to drip once you break the pan seal, and from just about every bolt hole if you go that route. I'd loosen the back of the pan and completely remove the bolts, then start working your way toward the front and to one corner so that you can somewhat control the flow of the oil. Leave about two bolts in until the pan has drained out and then remove the last two slowly. It's tough not to make a mess without a drain plug.

The big yellow or black Blitz catch pans work well. If you have a large piece of cardboard to lay on, that can catch the random drips of oil and provides a little bit of padding while you're wrenching on you back. An old bed sheet can help a little too.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

The transmission actually tilts to the front. What you want to do is remove all of the pan bolts from the front of the pan, and down the sides. Leave the bolts in the back. Now with a screw driver or something small and flat, gently pry the pan a little, it should break the seal and start dripping, now remove all of the back bolts except one in the middle, pry the pan down a little more, it should really start dripping. Now loosen the last bolt a couple of turns and pry down, that should open the flood gates. Now keep loosening the bolt and pulling down on the front of the pan. Once you get a majority of the excess fluid out and the last bolt is almost out, push the pan back up with one hand and take the bolt out with the other, it should only be one or two turns left. Now slowly let the pan down, be careful it can get away from you, it still has a few quarts in it.

You are going to get messy, your tools are going to get messy, but if you have a large enough drain pan you should be able to keep the floor clean.

To get the most fluid out you may want to let it drain overnight.

*EDIT* Sorry i didnt take into account the fact that you have to jack the truck up. Ive gotten so used to using a lift. If you jack the front of the truck up then the back of the pan is where you want to start. If you jack the back of the truck up then you want to start at the front of the pan.

Last edited by MonteC; 11-30-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions about transmission