2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Terrible strategy by forum moderator

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IE - gag !
i'd rather eat a mile of $hit than promote a Microsoft product.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DodgeRam1500
You don't sell sliverados on a dodge site. so, tell me who the idiot is now?

He is right, put Dodge stuff on the forum and I will look. The site gets $$ from people clicking on the ad.

its extremely annoying to have the ad pop-up appear

I do not promote it, so i type key words with spaces, like t r u c k. (as you can tell by my sig)
Dodges use Chevy brake parts. Though'chu knew?

Old 11-26-2008, 08:36 PM
vmann
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ads suck but they pay for the site so dont complain.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Dodges use Chevy brake parts. Though'chu knew?
I do, thats why i can't stop for ****.

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
IE - gag !
i'd rather eat a mile of $hit than promote a Microsoft product.
Okay, then turn off your Windows computer and start eating.

If you aren't using Ubuntu, then you are about to gobble up a miles worth...

Then try to explain to me, why Firefox is better.
If you think its "safer" or "quicker" then you are just posing to be one of those trendy PC guys.
Lets talk more about IE7 and FF3.0.
IE7 has the phishing filter that actually works.
Firefox phishing filter fails on any test I have seen reported by WhiteHat.
So, its not as safer...

Faster... I have yet to see ALL webpages written to utilize FF. Faster its not.
80% of web based apps are designed for IE because of .net and .asp ..etc...
FF does not work well with OWA, the layout is all funky. Many IT Admins (me) block the install as if it was a virus.

There are nice things about open source, like, price, and some functions/ad ons have the user in mind.
Also, open source code is from some of the same people who write viruses and vulnerabilities. Enjoy FF all you want.

I am not a Micro$loth promotor, I used to use Netscape 3, then 4. then I even tried 5. No one makes a 100% perfect product... heck look at what we drive.

If you really want a decent browser to have that "look at me, I am a computer rebel", then use Opera, or Safari *cough*, or if you are really brave.... seamonkey.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked opera, just found firefox to be a bit more reliable.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do, thats why i can't stop for ****.
You poor, lost misguided soul. I upgraded to ¾-ton Chevrolet wheel cylinders for the rears and I can stop like no tomorrow.

This is for you:

Ads pay for the site, and NO, not everyone here is believes Dodges are 100% of the meaning of life.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you that are slightly too dense, and complain about the ads on this site; I have a suggestion for you. If you dont like the ads then email the moderator and vouch for a paid service. Its that simple if you dont like to see the ads then pay for an ad free service. Why do you think that satelite radio is a multimillion dollar business?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Okay, then turn off your Windows computer and start eating.

If you aren't using Ubuntu, then you are about to gobble up a miles worth...
Or buy a Mac.

Then try to explain to me, why Firefox is better.
If you think its "safer" or "quicker" then you are just posing to be one of those trendy PC guys.
Lets talk more about IE7 and FF3.0.
IE7 has the phishing filter that actually works.
Firefox phishing filter fails on any test I have seen reported by WhiteHat.
So, its not as safer...
Phishing is just one aspect of security. While I do give kudos to M$ for having an excellent phishing filter, if you look at all the bugs in IE that Microsoft has to constantly patch to block malicious ActiveX controls or other "bad guys", and look at Firefox's track record for the same, IE is much, much worse. I have seen more viruses come through bad websites through IE users than any other browser. Of course, thats partially because its by far the biggest market share, but its also because its a pretty junky program.

Faster... I have yet to see ALL webpages written to utilize FF. Faster its not.
80% of web based apps are designed for IE because of .net and .asp ..etc...
FF does not work well with OWA, the layout is all funky. Many IT Admins (me) block the install as if it was a virus.
True, some pages do not load correctly in Firefox. However, almost every single page I have ever loaded has loaded faster in Firefox in side-by-side trial runs. I've been with Firefox since version 1.5, and I've been with IE since at least IE 5. While that isn't really that long of time, Firefox has always been faster loading the same pages, not once has IE beaten Firefox in terms of speed. BTW, programming a website specifically for one web browser, and/or using specific code that only operates correctly in one web browser, is regarded as bad practice in the IT industry.

I don't blame you for blocking the installation of Firefox though. Many users don't have a clue what they are doing when they do these kinds of major things, so blocking like that is necessary. I completely understand.

There are nice things about open source, like, price, and some functions/ad ons have the user in mind.
Also, open source code is from some of the same people who write viruses and vulnerabilities. Enjoy FF all you want.
True. Some free or open source programs are not good. For example, while I don't believe AVG Antivirus is open source, there is a free version. But it sucks. So many customers of mine swear by it, "I've never had a problem!" So few people realize that many types of viruses and spyware aren't going to raise their hand and say "Here I am! Your Norton/McAfee/AVG/Windows Live OneCare missed me!" Well, that is, unless you count a crashing computer as a raised hand. And then half the time they just don't understand why they got a virus. Sorry, OK, end rant about AVG.

I am not a Micro$loth promotor, I used to use Netscape 3, then 4. then I even tried 5. No one makes a 100% perfect product... heck look at what we drive.
Netscape was a great product in its day, pretty much until AOL bought them. Then it was all down hill from there.

If you really want a decent browser to have that "look at me, I am a computer rebel", then use Opera, or Safari *cough*, or if you are really brave.... seamonkey.
I've used Safari, Opera, Firefox, IE, Netscape, and I gave Seamonkey a try once. I've also tried Chrome, and on my wife's Mac, I am experimenting with Camino. Firefox is getting to be a behemoth of a program, but is still faster at loading pages than IE. Safari is even faster most of the time, but the Windows version of it seems to have even more programming flaws than IE (or maybe that was just my experience).

The path they are heading down for Chrome and IE 8 worry me. A thread for every tab/window could possibly lead to wasteful programming, where Firefox is supposedly working on streamlining more and more their single thread.

But back to topic (sort of)... I use Firefox for 95% of my browsing. When I run across the occasional site that doesn't work that well in it, I use IE. Its a bit of personal choice as well, of course, but the review you gave their was very biased and negative overall. Just had to throw my two cents out there.

Last edited by jasonw; 11-26-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, a Mac user.
That explains a lot.

True, phishing is just one part. MS is going to be dumping any Java support and all of its applications and will stop using it. they are also doing some more development changes to Visual Studio (got the sales call today as a mater of fact from a Micro$loth sales rep).
Things are going to be changing to activeX, and FF is just as open as IE to security holes. Since FF3.0 has been out there have been over 18 patches/security updates. As you know, a web browser is not an Antivirus application, and the user is the weakest link. I have been in IT over 9 years, and I'd easily say any issues I have had with IE is all user related. But... I'd certainly say in IE5 there were tons of issues until about IE6 SP2, then it started to get more stable.
Enjoy your Mac, I just wish they weren't soo expensive so i could justify getting them. But its just tough from a corporate side to use those only because of the lack of support form our software vendors.

So, back to the original topic.
Ad's do pay the bills.
I belong to two other Dodge forums, and this site is loaded (well, it used to before i started using IEPro7).
I also have Sirius Sat radio, love it, and its not ad free. Just the music channels are, and even those channels aren't 100% music.
We can't escape the ad's. But I think the true issue is... its content.
Why is it when you have the word FORD or Ram 1500 does it link you to a Chevy ad?

Old 11-27-2008, 02:35 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh, a Mac user.
That explains a lot.

I am not a true Mac user, as my main machine is a custom built Vista one, but I did convert my wife to a Mac.

True, phishing is just one part. MS is going to be dumping any Java support and all of its applications and will stop using it. they are also doing some more development changes to Visual Studio (got the sales call today as a mater of fact from a Micro$loth sales rep).
Things are going to be changing to activeX, and FF is just as open as IE to security holes. Since FF3.0 has been out there have been over 18 patches/security updates.
Yeah, I never said FF was invincible or flawless, just that it has far less security holes than IE.

As you know, a web browser is not an Antivirus application, and the user is the weakest link. I have been in IT over 9 years, and I'd easily say any issues I have had with IE is all user related. But... I'd certainly say in IE5 there were tons of issues until about IE6 SP2, then it started to get more stable.
Enjoy your Mac, I just wish they weren't soo expensive so i could justify getting them. But its just tough from a corporate side to use those only because of the lack of support form our software vendors.
I'd say 95% of all computer problems are user related. Or as my co-worker put it to one customer, "Well, sir, I believe the error is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard."

Macs are lacking in the business world, I completely agree. They are getting into it slightly, but its a hard market to break into when so much $$$ is at stake.

So, back to the original topic.
Ad's do pay the bills.
I belong to two other Dodge forums, and this site is loaded (well, it used to before i started using IEPro7).
I also have Sirius Sat radio, love it, and its not ad free. Just the music channels are, and even those channels aren't 100% music.
We can't escape the ad's. But I think the true issue is... its content.
Why is it when you have the word FORD or Ram 1500 does it link you to a Chevy ad?
I noticed that too. Found it slightly amusing.

Ads are necessary evil IMO, but it would be nicer to see a few more Dodge ads rather than Chevrolet all the time.

Quick Reply: Terrible strategy by forum moderator