2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone rebuild a 46re themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:59 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone rebuild a 46re themselves?

I was trying to find a writeup but search isn't working for me right now. I will continue looking, but if anyone reading this has their own DIY or know of one, I would appreciate it.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done quite a few myself. Maybe when i get some time to go through one slow and take pictures and stuff i will post it on here.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is a 48RE
but it might interest you

http://web.archive.org/web/200703180..._teardown.html

Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

If I can get the thing off I may try rebuilding it over a months time. Got to see what I am getting into the next coming weeks though. I've done the plenum/timing chain stuff, is rebuilding a tranny about the next best step to increase my knowledge in general?

Still havn't got to a shop though to diagnose what it is, but the way it runs and the franchise's i've delt with, i'm sure they'll say the tranny is bad whether or not it really is. Could just be a tps problem.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HankL
this is a 48RE
but it might interest you

http://web.archive.org/web/200703180..._teardown.html
Interesting, but the Day 3 page no longer exists, and he doesn't show where each part is before removing it.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

IDK, transmission overhaul is something I consider a specialty. If you don't have experience and/or the tools required, I wouldn't attempt it.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrex
IDK, transmission overhaul is something I consider a specialty. If you don't have experience and/or the tools required, I wouldn't attempt it.
I am half tempted to agree, yet I know of numerous instances where people have had to take their vehicle back to the transmission shop two or three times before all of the issues were resolved. Then again, most of the problems seem to be the chain shops rather than a one-man operation.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Well I put some Lucas stuff in there today and it idled a little nicer and accelerated a little better. I'm moving to orlando tomorrow though so I'll have more access to get my truck checked out and learn what I gotta do to fix it, though I am looking at other vehicles to put a turbo inline chevy 250 in. Maybe I can keep my truck for runnin parts or gettin a trailor for.

If indeed the tranny needs to be overhauled again, what are some pointers to get it right the first time? I'd like to get a good kit cause I am a little rough on my truck, lol.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

It used to be $350 to R&R the old TH350, and I actually helped a kid rebuild one for his '72 Z28, but those days are long gone. Any time I hear the word transmission today, $2500 figure pops into my head. Like VW says, I think you would need to find an experienced independent shop that stands behind their work or go to one of these vendors like APS or Dr. Evil and do an exchange.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kowboydmac
Well I put some Lucas stuff in there today and it idled a little nicer and accelerated a little better. I'm moving to orlando tomorrow though so I'll have more access to get my truck checked out and learn what I gotta do to fix it, though I am looking at other vehicles to put a turbo inline chevy 250 in. Maybe I can keep my truck for runnin parts or gettin a trailor for.

If indeed the tranny needs to be overhauled again, what are some pointers to get it right the first time? I'd like to get a good kit cause I am a little rough on my truck, lol.
You put lucas in it? Yep youre going to need an overhaul soon.

Quick Reply: Anyone rebuild a 46re themselves?