2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:04 AM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another lesson learned

Hi all, I just need to vent so feel free to ignore this.
I've been trying to fix my fog lights for a while now and today I finally got it done, but it cost me way more than it should have. I started out by buying two new bulbs -nothing. Then I tore the headlight switch out and opened it up (broke it in the process). Drove a 26 mile round trip to autozone for a new switch, turned out it wasn't even close to being the right part. After another 26 miles I had the correct switch, and when I plugged it in -nothing, crap...there goes 45 bucks. Finally started tracing the wiring and found a corroded splice. I spliced in a new 3 inch strip of wire and voila! The lamps now work perfectly. So a project that should have cost me 50 cents ended up costing me about $50. Nice....

FYI, if you're looking for a headlight switch for a 1999 ram with fog lights, autozone's website is incorrect. The one they are trying to sell for the '99 will only work on '97 and older 2nd gens. I think. They will try to tell you that it will work but there's no chance. I ended up buying a headlight switch intended for use in a 1999 durango w/ fog lights. It's the exact same thing that's in the ram.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

On the bright side, the stock headlight switches usually burn up eventually anyway. So you could look at this as preventative maintenance.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^on the bright side^^^^ lights,to funny jason.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:06 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL nice pun! hahaha

Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like one of my repairs.
new ctm for $120, new multi-function sw for $42, 2-3 weeks of work and fret when the problem was a missing 50 cent fuse labeled power windows (or locks ?) and i don't even have power windows or locks.

look on "bright" side, you learned all about how your switch and wiring works. now you can answer all the fog light questions.

Quick Reply: Another lesson learned