2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cleanest way to remove tranny check valve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:26 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cleanest way to remove tranny check valve?

Anybody got a really clean way to remove the check valve in the tranny line from the cooler? I'd prefer not to have cut up tubing and hose clamps everywhere. I'm not familiar with the innards of the check valve portion, but would it be possible to just drill out the valve, blow it out, and reinstall the OEM tube?

Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i hadn't thought of that, but you could try.

when i was installing a cooler and filter, i initially worried about the clamps and thought i should try and keep the stock hoses with the quick connects. however, after looking at it, the quick connects are at the radiator end only, and one of them (i think) was permanently crimped on the frame end, which makes it (the hose alone) not replaceable. the other hose had a fitting crimped on, which screwed into the check valve.

i considered going up to the hardware store and rooting around the plumbing fittings and getting a threaded nipple to replace the check valve, but one way or the other, i was going to end up clamping part of it anyway. so i decided the hell with it, just put on NEW hose, NEW double clamps, and let it be easily servicable for the rest of its life.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-29-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could cut the line out and put in an in line filter, would make it look better.

I wouldnt suggest drilling it out.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

vaughan, you got a pic of that setup? I think the forum wiped out the old pics when we converted to v-bulletin.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 AM
jmhai
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone installs the inline unit, do you then delete the stock filter unit in the trans..?

What benefits come with the inline filter other then the increased filtering and extra fluid, Can u go longer without changing fluid, Do u not have to change the stock filter anymore..?

Thinking of removing my check valve and might as well add a little more protection while I'm at it..

Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
vaughan, you got a pic of that setup? I think the forum wiped out the old pics when we converted to v-bulletin.
yes, here you go.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/95322-transmission-cooler-and-remote-filter-added.html

tips - if you do the remote filter, get one with 90* fittings. it reduces hose clutter.

If someone installs the inline unit, do you then delete the stock filter unit in the trans..?
no. stock filter remains inside the transmission and must be replaced regularly.

What benefits come with the inline filter other then the increased filtering and extra fluid, Can u go longer without changing fluid, Do u not have to change the stock filter anymore..?
with these transmissions, you should not go longer w/o changing fluid. an extra filter is just extra filtering. it might not help, but i figure it can't hurt. you must still change the internal stock filter regularly (i say every 1 or 2 years). if it clogs up, your tranny is toast.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-29-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
yes, here you go.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95322

tips - if you do the remote filter, get one with 90* fittings. it reduces hose clutter.

no. stock filter remains inside the transmission and must be replaced regularly.

with these transmissions, you should not go longer w/o changing fluid. an extra filter is just extra filtering. it might not help, but i figure it can't hurt. you must still change the internal stock filter regularly (i say every 1 or 2 years). if it clogs up, your tranny is toast.
I agree, but change filter and fluid every 30k miles. If you dont drive very often then go by 1 or 2 years.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

vaughan,

You happen to recall the size of that tubing? I know it needs to be rated for like 150psi, but sizes would help me out, gotta drive the truck to the parts store so I can't take the check valve hose off and wave it at them.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

3/8" ID auto transmission hose. its on a spool all by itself at the parts store. its high temp, high pressure, and high priced at $3/ft. 3/8 is also the size of the hard line, so it all works out just right. if you can, get the strongest widest looking clamps they've got and avoid the little cheapo ones. if you can't avoid those, just double them up. i did that on one. knock on wood its never leaked a drop (yet).

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=BMM-70264

specs on trans hose...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10101

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-29-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Cleanest way to remove tranny check valve?