2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Using 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vmann
i disengage 4wd when im about to turn.
You cant do that, you have to stop and put it in neutral. Then you can disingage it.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PURPLDODGERAMITMFERS
You cant do that, you have to stop and put it in neutral. Then you can disingage it.
Why do you have to do that?
When you move the lever out of 4wd you disengage the transfercase, and eventually the CAD will disengage the axle. There will not be any binding since you just disenegage the transfer case from the front axle.

I know when you want to put it in to 4lo, you have stop, turn off the truck, put it in N, then put it in 4lo, then start, and put it in D/2/1 or some crazy process like that.

Unless MonteC can shed his professional thoughts here.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by PURPLDODGERAMITMFERS
That only applies to 4lo. 4hi can be engaged and disengaged at any speed up to 55mph.

and btw I have been known to throw my truck in 4x4 in the rain too, but i had michelin x-Radials on my truck and they were almost bald too.
Its hard to drive in city traffic in the rain. Given the fact that everyone drives with the idea of floor it and then slam on the brakes.
So if I need to use 4x4 in the rain to keep traction, and keep my *** from getting ran over then yea im gonna use it.
Any of you that disagree, just keep yer mouth zipped and turn your head. I'll do things my way and you can do things your way.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
That only applies to 4lo. 4hi can be engaged and disengaged at any speed up to 55mph.
Agreed. Easy way to tell, just get on some dirt, engage 4wd, then shift it out of 4wd and gas it, and just the rears will break loose.
Its hard to drive in city traffic in the rain. Given the fact that everyone drives with the idea of floor it and then slam on the brakes.
So if I need to use 4x4 in the rain to keep traction, and keep my *** from getting ran over then yea im gonna use it.
The stop and go is tough in the rain, heck my Golf, Integra and Accord also sucked when I commuted, wish they were AWD. The wife has a AWD Pacifica, and that thing is a tank, its actually better in snow than the truck.
Any of you that disagree, just keep yer mouth zipped and turn your head. I'll do things my way and you can do things your way.
Damn, themz fighten' wordz.

(this post was done in the famous formatting commonly used by Jason.W)

Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Whatever. My truck will make a loud clunk if i dont stop and put into neutral.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM
pro tech
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Remind me not to buy a used truck from.......

Originally Posted by vmann
i disengage 4wd when im about to turn and i only use it when its pouring and i cant see anything or when the roads are really slick. my tires dont grip on very well in the rain. And i dont use my truck as a sports car.

Man, if you can't drive in the rain without 4wd, I'd hate like hell to see you in the snow...too funny...seriously....get it off the pavement if you wanna go 4 wheeling.

A decent set of tires would be alot cheaper in the long run as opposed to the damage you'll do to your drivetrain in 4wd on pavement.

Tourqe wind-up is a bad bad thing. My old '78 Bronco didn't have a 4wd indicator light (that worked), forgot 4wd was locked in and I made it about 15 miles down the interstate at 75mph one morning. Road was in spots lightly snow covered, but mostly just wet from the road salt. BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM!! Transfer case yoke to front driveshaft snapped off at the transfer case, hubs were still locked in..... it ain't easy to stomp on the brake pedal with a driveshaft slamming violently around under your feet at highway speed. By the time I got it off the road, there was a football sized hole ripped in the floor, driveshaft looked like a banana, knocked a hole in the transfer case, screwed up the pinion seal, exhaust, gas line, wiring to the rear...and probably other crap I don't really care to remember. Dumb mistake, brain fart, just hopped in and took off without thinking, I knew better...woke my azz up for sure...needless to say, I was a little late for work.

I won't call you a puzzay......ignorant , well maybe. Couple guys tried explain why this isn't reccommended and warned you of the damage it WILL cause. You don't want to listen, that's fine. Hell, it's your truck, so lock it in, punch it and cut some doughnuts.... nothing cooler than smoking all 4 wheels on wet pavement...LOL.

Got the feeling you're gonna be a regular around here.....I can hear it now...."What's that clunking sound?"..."How do you get a u-joint out?"........"Help, my drive shaft just flew off"...."How do I remove a hub to pull out a broken axle?"....."Got a strange noise coming from my transfer case, please help"...."Damn Dodge truck is a piece of junk money pit"......

Lock it and rock it, half the fun of owning a truck is beating the hell out of it so you can fix it.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol Amen

Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DodgeRam1500
(this post was done in the famous formatting commonly used by Jason.W)
You always gotta poke fun at me. I think I'm gonna go in the corner and cry.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
vmann
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dunno my uncle is the service manager at helfman dodge. been certified ase tech for god knows how long and he's the one that told me to do it

Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Those dumb a$$e$ at the dealers dont know $hit about our Rams.