2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:10 PM
cancertree
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Power

I have a 2000 dodge ram with about 75k miles. I do a lot of frequent trips at work. V6, auto trans, 2wd.

Well yesterday all of a sudden i noticed a loss in power, I can still get to 60 fairly easily but when i press hard on the pedal the o/d does not kick in and the rpm's wont go over 2200.

When i am parked, then switch to drive and dont gas it at all the truck will hardly move on a level surface.

When in park, and rev the engine, it revs normally and can get well above 2000 rpms.

Fuel pump? Cat?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:46 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

torque converter might be going out... or tranny.

if it was the cat you wouldn't get over 30.

i think... sounds like it to me...

Old 11-29-2008, 10:00 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

my cat went out and i had all i could do to get to 30... but yes the trans sounds to be going. and the one thing i would try is standerd or auto, put the truck into 1st gear,, not drive but first and see how many rpms you can get. dont go to fast, only get it up to about 4000, if it does, then its nothing with the motor. cuase the gear ill be the same it eliminates that factor. then tell us what happens or happend

Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM
cancertree

Ok i just took my truck out. I put it in first and it easily went over 3k rpms in first.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok well that pretty much eliminates the motor problem factor. and you said it will get over at least up to 60, and will rev in neutral fine, which means there is really nothing wrong with your motor. its in your tranny, when it does shift, does it shift hard or slow or normal? to be very honest, the motor i personally am good with but when it comes to trans, i am useless. to many little things in there, but those questions about shifting will help someone figure out your problem

Old 11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
cancertree

Shifts normally, no weird noises. O/d won't engage and very sluggish when going 0-10.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok well like i said, i am really no good when it comes to trans, and you mean the o/d wont engage as in the light on the dash stays on? or? and when you put it in first and took of it got to what ever rpm, was it sluggish then?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 PM
cancertree

I mean when i am in drive and i accelerate the o/d does not engage anymore when it normally would. Can't get above 2200 rpm's in drive.

When i manually put it in first. It seemed to accelerate normally, a little slugish but not as bad as in drive.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

My first thought was your tranny as well. Does it shift ok if you do it manually from 1 to 2 to D? How does it shift and run with OD off and you get up around 60? Does it keep pulling? Have you checked the fluid? When was the last time the tranny was serviced?

Quick Reply: Loss of Power