2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans flush and filter question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:16 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trans flush and filter question?

i am the second owner of my truck. it has 57k on it.do you think i will mess it up if i do a trans flush and filter change. i donnt donnt know if it has been done before.i have no issues with the trans.it shifts and everything just fine.i want to do it, but i just am afraid something bad will happen.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:30 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't risk it , some have no prob, some do. Not broke don't fix it you know.LOL Just do a regular filter and fluid change. If you feel confident enough you could adjust the band while you are in there. And of course use atf+4

Old 11-30-2008, 09:00 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

i concur.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:04 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+2 whoops, Monte beat me. Too long winded I guess.

Do not flush, just a drip drain and a filter change. Clean the magnet off of all the friction material and metal shavings. Also put a piggyback plug in the pan and seal it with some RTV for the next time you do this.

You'll probably drip out about 6 quarts, use only ATF +4. I prefer the Mopar brand from Wally World, usually the cheapest.

A flush from the shop will usually involve hooking a machine to the dipstick tube and reversing the flow of ATF thru the system and out of the dipstick tube. If your truck has a few miles on it, this isn't good. Then they pump new fluid in and typically never drop the pan and change the filter. No doubt there is probably junk in the pan that you don't want to push back in thru the system and block a key passageway, valve, or check ball.

I usually do this once a year. First time I did it, I removed the pan and let it drip out overnight, and I pulled the return line off the cooler in the radiator to get as much old ATF out as I could. I got about 11 quarts out total. 6 on the pan pull, 2 more from reattaching the pan and letting it drip out over night, and 3 from the radiator and the aux cooler. I believe the system holds 15 quarts total.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 11-30-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+3 drain and replace filter. no flush.
when you do this, you'll discover that dropping a pan full of fluid is HEAVY, awkward, and messy. adding a $5 plug to the pan is worth a lot for the future.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/trans.php

Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

thanks guys.made my mind up, i will just get a new filter and change that.

so,all you guys think i should have the bands adjusted? if so,i might just take it to a buddy who has been working in a trans shop for about 20yrs. he had a lift installed at his house for working on trans on the side too. and another good thing is he drives dodges too. he will be pumping mine up if (when) it ever starts going.

do you think i should have a shift kit installed?does the trans have to be dropped to do that?

one more question. what is a good converter? i mean like what kind of stall and stuff. i am trans stupid.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

No, the trans does not have to come out to install a shift kit. And it sounds like a kit can actually extend the life of the tans.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:58 PM
atc250r
Veteran

I'm no expert here, but I've took my truck into a tranny shop twice for a flush. The first at 135,000 km, and the second at 200,000 km. The 2nd time I stayed and watched (I was allowed into the back of the shop and talked to the guy the whole time). He dropped the pan, removed filter, hooked up the machine to the pick up tube, started the engine and put in neutral while up on the hoist, and let the used dirty fluid run into the catch barrel under the tranny. Ran it for about 3 minutes or so. In the mean time, he cut apart the little filter and examined it for debris. Also cleaned out pan and magnet and replaced everything like a real professional. I was very impressed with the service for $100 plus tax. Never used the dipstick tube for the flush. Still going strong at 276,000 km on original tranny and I'm original owner.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Well you got lucky, to find a shop to do it the right way. Maybe because you were standing there, or they just GAS about what they are doing.

Quick Reply: trans flush and filter question?