2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual Locking Hubs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Jimmeh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Locking Hubs.

So, my shift motor is fried in the Dodge, and I am wondering if putting on manual locking hubs will allow me to bypass the shift motor so I don't have to replace it.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

fyi, CAD is usually repairable unless its just rusted out. its a fairly simple device and its often just a stuck shaft or vac problem.

if you do replace it, look into a posi-lok, which is a manual axle connector. i would not go all the way to manual hubs as they are expensive and also a pita.

posilok
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/95395-posi-lok-installed.html

cad/vac repair info
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/180061-4wd-issue-front-axle-not-disengaging.html

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-30-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

So how does that work exactly? Do I still shift with the T-case lever, or is that useless now?

Old 11-30-2008, 04:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, you do still shift the t-case as before. this engages the front drive shaft, and possibly low range (4low). however, at this point, the front axle is uncoupled, so the right side inner axle is spinning uselessly.

next, you pull on the posilok ****. this duplicates the motion of the CAD, and slides the shift fork over, which couples up the passenger outer half of the axle with the inner half. now the front wheels pull.

my favorite feature is the ability to shift the t-case to 4low, but not engage the cad. this gives you low range 2wd, so you can crawl along slow w/o the binding of the front wheels and the hard steering.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:08 PM
carguysbc

this happened to me. and if your really broke like i was i just took the unit off and welded the fork into a 4wd position slid the shaft connector together and put it back together. its like riding around with the hubs locked in like on the old trucks.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

Originally Posted by carguysbc
this happened to me. and if your really broke like i was i just took the unit off and welded the fork into a 4wd position slid the shaft connector together and put it back together. its like riding around with the hubs locked in like on the old trucks.
No thanks. The posi lock sounds like a simple solution. That sounds more like a bigger headache.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

Has anybody put locking hubs on there gen 2? I just went to the Warn website, and they don't even sell a kit for the 94-01 Ram!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

http://emsoffroad.com/shop/index.php...4fb3b4036fafcd

There is the hub conversion. Stick to the posi lock for ease though, less you have the cash to burn

Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

Moses! That is pretty damn expensive! I was hoping not to have to spend that much for the locking hubs, so posi lock it is.

Which site did those of you who have gotten the posi lock get it from? I have seen a few different prices, so I want to go with the one people are using.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Haha, go where the cheapest price @ a reliable website. Check summit, they are usually pretty good about prices.

Quick Reply: Manual Locking Hubs.