2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Fuel Ratio guage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 PM
neattouch648
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Fuel Ratio guage?

Has anyone ever installed one of these? I put one in but its not giving me a reading...I found what i think is the correct cable off the o2 sensor but i'm not getting a reading at all...
thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've posted a lot of information on how to do this, try a search. What do you mean you're not getting a reading? Are you using the stock o2 sensor, or an aftermarket wide band? What A/F meter are you using?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
neattouch648
Professional

i'm using the stock o2 sensor, the one mounted right before the cat... its got 4 cables coming out of it. Its a autometer guage with like, yellow, red and green LED's...i followed the directions ot install it. when i start the truck, the first little red LED comes on but soon turns off again....

Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Mine installed like this:

I spliced into the wire loom just outside of the PCM instead of down by the o2 sensor (same wires, just shorter distance and easier access). For my '99, I installed it using the following wires. These also worked on a '97 I now for sure, and an '01 too, but you might consult the service manual wiring diagram to make sure first, not sure what year your truck is.

On the right side PCM plug (when looking at it as you face the firewall), I connected the brown wire of my A/F meter (O2 sensor signal ground) to the black with light blue tracer, and the orange of my A/F meter (O2 sensor output) to the tan with white tracer. These both came off of the same plug on the PCM. Then there was a black wire from my a/f meter that went to a ground, and a red wire that goes to a switched ignition hot wire (so that it is only powered when you have the key on). Lastly, the white wire from my a/f meter spliced into the dash lights so that it would dim when the lights are on. Not sure if your particular a/f meter's wires will be the same or not, but hope this helps some. Use solder connections.

Also, when you get it all hooked up, make sure to give it several minutes. I thought mine wasn't working because it just sat on rich for several minutes. Then it finally started to dither. This is because the PCM was in open loop mode when I first started the truck. Once it changed over to close loop mode, I started to see what I was looking for.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't know if the 2nd gens are like the 3rd gens, but on the 3rd gens, you gotta use a wide band, the narrow bands won't work. Also we have to weld in a new bung and add a separate O2 because the stock ones are a funky voltage and nobody is getting the units to work with the stock O2 sensors...

Old 12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

On 2nd gens, the stock o2 sensor is a narrow band sensor, so any narrow band a/f meter will work. If you want to use a wide band a/f meter, you have to change the o2 sensor to a wide band sensor.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess it was good that I started my post with "Don't Know if 2nd gens are like the 3rd gens" then, huh?
I broke the driver side pillar in my truck so decided to get the one with the gauge. Was thinking of doing the A/R Gauge in it, mainly because I'm gonna do a cam when I get the $. But after seeing what a pain it's gonna be in a 3rd gen, I'm thinking of Tranny Temp. instead...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-03-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
neattouch648
Professional

maybe my truck is just running so lean that i'm not getting any measurement haha just joking, but i have now tried both o2 sensors, (pre and post cat) and neither of them gave my guage a reading, i also tried the brown with white cable that you were talking about silver dodge and that one doesn't give me a reading either. when i have it hooked up and start the truck, i get 1 or 2 led's showing very lean but after it's idled for a couple of seconds i get no reading at all...what a pain in the ***

i have no idea what it could be....

Old 12-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by neattouch648
....i also tried the brown with white cable that you were talking about silver dodge and that one doesn't give me a reading either. .
It is tan, not brown.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 PM
neattouch648
Professional

haha sorry, thats what i meant, i tried the tan with white cable not the brown with white

Quick Reply: Air Fuel Ratio guage?