2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Surging RPM's and engine HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Surging RPM's and engine HELP PLEASE!!

I need help I have taken My 2001 1500 to two mechanics and one transmission shop and no one has an answer to my problem. My engine is a 5.6 and the problem is as follows.
When I reach around 60 to 70 the RPM's surge up and down about 300 to 400 RPM it will go from a normal 2100 up to 2300 and down to 1800 this gives the impression you are feathering the throttle. It does it usually within the first 15 miles I drive and usually on the up shift side. When I get my mechanics in the truck usually doesn't do it. I am very frustrated and have no idea what the issue is. I have changed plugs wires throttle position sensor no help. The engine does appear to be working harder now it acts like I have a horse trailer behind me but the RPM's are the same as before the problem occurred only surging. I have no trouble codes appearing and my mileage doesn't appear to be effected. Every once in a while I get a ping from my drive shaft but only occasionally. sounds like a small pebble is loose in the drive shaft but it only lasts a second or two. I will gladly accept any help or suggestions. I am at my wits end and out of ideas.

Last edited by Rebhays27; 12-04-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.6? Are you sure it isn't a 5.2 or 5.9? Never seen a 5.6 in a 2nd gen Ram... Mine did that, but a new TPS fixed it. Have you tried replacing the IAC? Also, make sure the ping is in the driveshaft and not in the engine. Your plenum gasket could be blown, which causes a lack of power, increased oil usage, etc. Do a search on here for it...

Old 12-04-2008, 01:12 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed the IAC and tps when mine surged. The one i replaced first didn't do a damn thing. The second one fixed it right up. I forget which I changed first though

Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Rebhays27
Professional
Default your right 5.2

21K your correct I didn't roof read my message close enough it is a 5.2 I will definately try the TS I did replace the IAC and did nothing but caused the idle to be too high never adjusted to correct idle. The pinging is definately in the drive shaft don't know if it is deferring the sound from elsewhere but I actually got under the truck with it on stands and let it idle (wife was in the seat) ant it definately came from the DS. I will check into the plenum gasket. So far the truck uses absolutely no oil I'm actually behind on the oil change and it is right on the mark. Are there any other signs of the gasket's failure? Thanks for the responses any further ideas let me know I'll let you know if it works.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your rpm changes are probably a result of your torque converter unlocking/locking and the transmission shifting in/out of overdrive.

a bad tps can cause these problems.
also, a bad brake light switch on the pedal.
also, a bad torque converter clutch and other transmission problems.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rebhays27
21K your correct I didn't roof read my message close enough it is a 5.2 I will definately try the TS I did replace the IAC and did nothing but caused the idle to be too high never adjusted to correct idle. The pinging is definately in the drive shaft don't know if it is deferring the sound from elsewhere but I actually got under the truck with it on stands and let it idle (wife was in the seat) ant it definately came from the DS. I will check into the plenum gasket. So far the truck uses absolutely no oil I'm actually behind on the oil change and it is right on the mark. Are there any other signs of the gasket's failure? Thanks for the responses any further ideas let me know I'll let you know if it works.
As far as I know, the main signs of a blown plenum gasket are increased oil usage, spark knock, oil pooling inside the intake manifold, and the presence of a vacuum from the breather hose. To test that, get your truck up to op temp and shut it off. Then just plug your PCV inlet on the intake manifold, plug the other end of the PCV hose, take your breather hose off your air intake, and put a vacuum gauge on the breather hose. Start the truck and let it idle for about 30 sec. There should not be a vacuum present...and if there is, do not let it create more than 3 psi of vacuum before turning the truck off. There is a TSB for that somewhere on here. But try replacing the TPS first...about $40 and 5 min to change out.

Last edited by Ram2K1; 12-04-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Thumbs up It's Looking better.

Originally Posted by Ram2K1
As far as I know, the main signs of a blown plenum gasket are increased oil usage, spark knock, oil pooling inside the intake manifold, and the presence of a vacuum from the breather hose. To test that, get your truck up to op temp and shut it off. Then just plug your PCV inlet on the intake manifold, plug the other end of the PCV hose, take your breather hose off your air intake, and put a vacuum gauge on the breather hose. Start the truck and let it idle for about 30 sec. There should not be a vacuum present...and if there is, do not let it create more than 3 psi of vacuum before turning the truck off. There is a TSB for that somewhere on here. But try replacing the TPS first...about $40 and 5 min to change out.
You guys are the MEN!! I ironically hava a TPS already I didn't think it would be the issue I need to just put it in. I think all of the symptoms you mentioned are probably the only ones this truck haven't experienced I will replace that TPS today and let you know. I will also check the Vaccuum never hurts to check everything. Thanks Million I hope this works my mechamic is a buddy of mine and I would love to rub it in his face (joking of course) and let him know I fixed what he couldn't he's a full time mechanic as you can probably tell I'm just shade tree

Vaughn, you are very correct on the TC My Tranny mech just rebuilt my Tranny the TCC went out and he rebuilt the entire thing just as my Stimulous check came in couldn't have timed it better. The mech did mention the TC not engaging correctly but he told me a few things to look for and he also did a few checks and we pretty much ruled that out. But you are absolutely correct on the possible cause. Thanks for the suggestion.

I love this truck but it seems to be a work in progress will keep you advised Thanks again guys

Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Unhappy Still Stumped

Well I changed the TPS and just to be sure I changed the IAC again still no resolution. Any other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. I am completely Stumped.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Bradon Rogers

Originally Posted by Rebhays27
Well I changed the TPS and just to be sure I changed the IAC again still no resolution. Any other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. I am completely Stumped.
Hey man, did you ever figure out the problem for this? I got almost the same problem. It only does it at 2100 RPMS. And I can't figure out what's causing it for the life of me

Quick Reply: Surging RPM's and engine HELP PLEASE!!