2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put an order in today for the Guard Dogs in 265/75R16. $514.60 shipped for 4. This is the 4th set of tires I have bought from treadwright on 3 different vehicles.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Bubba39047
Captain

Originally Posted by pavement_hater
Just put an order in today for the Guard Dogs in 265/75R16. $514.60 shipped for 4. This is the 4th set of tires I have bought from treadwright on 3 different vehicles.
Is that a good thing that this is your 4th set?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

I work at a retread plant...We normally won't retread LT tires for liability reasons, also the fact that the tires are smaller than a semi means that they will be rotating faster at 70 MPH, giving the retread more of a likelihood of separating from the casing. The results can be devastating. Its also the reason we don't put retreads on the front of trucks anymore. I've seen a few Volvo trucks come in with the entire front corner missing because the retread on the front came apart. Just think of what that rotating mass of rubber would do to your fender if it separated from the casing...
Oh and what tire place are you getting your prices from? Our Mud Terrains in that size come up to 802.44 with tax...

Another thing, are those a ring tread retread or do they have a splice where the tread was joined together

Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Bubba39047
Captain

Originally Posted by Dodge4lyfe
I work at a retread plant...We normally won't retread LT tires for liability reasons, also the fact that the tires are smaller than a semi means that they will be rotating faster at 70 MPH, giving the retread more of a likelihood of separating from the casing. The results can be devastating. Its also the reason we don't put retreads on the front of trucks anymore. I've seen a few Volvo trucks come in with the entire front corner missing because the retread on the front came apart. Just think of what that rotating mass of rubber would do to your fender if it separated from the casing...
Oh and what tire place are you getting your prices from? Our Mud Terrains in that size come up to 802.44 with tax...

Another thing, are those a ring tread retread or do they have a splice where the tread was joined together
From reviews ive read on this forum, the retreads from Treadwright.com (what we are threading about) are pretty good. The whole tread separation thing scares me and i will have to think before i buy em.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 AM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by Dodge4lyfe

I would have no qualms about buying re-treads, not because of the price or the fact that I am in the navy and broke as hell 90% of the time, but we put re-treads on C-130's that have take off weights of 160k lbs. plus and landing weights of around 100k lbs. and they hold up fine. I know it is a different rubber compound but the theory stand true, now if only I could afford those instead of the used tires I buy.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...just ordered a set of the Wardens in 285/75R16 size. $516.64 delivered. I wanted a larger 295 size tire, but I really need to watch expenses right now. I sure hope these tires are as good as everyone makes them out to be. Couldn't find a negative review anywhere and even with having to pay mounting and balancing I will still have saved about $300 over the General Grabbers I was looking at and over $600 on the BFG A/Ts these compare to. No, I didn't get the Kedge Grip, just the regular ones. Even if I only get 20-30k out of these they will have been worth it. Takes me over 5 years to put that many miles on my truck.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rick, make sure you get them static balanced. Treadwright says that you should have them balanced like that and mine didn't take the balance well with the road force style of balancing machine.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Bubba39047
Captain

[quote=Miami_Son;1989555]Even if I only get 20-30k out of these they will have been worth it. Takes me over 5 years to put that many miles on my truck.quote]

Do you really drive that little? i put 300-600 miles a week on my truck

Old 02-09-2010, 07:28 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Well...just ordered a set of the Wardens in 285/75R16 size. $516.64 delivered. I wanted a larger 295 size tire, but I really need to watch expenses right now. I sure hope these tires are as good as everyone makes them out to be. Couldn't find a negative review anywhere and even with having to pay mounting and balancing I will still have saved about $300 over the General Grabbers I was looking at and over $600 on the BFG A/Ts these compare to. No, I didn't get the Kedge Grip, just the regular ones. Even if I only get 20-30k out of these they will have been worth it. Takes me over 5 years to put that many miles on my truck.
Please let me know how they work out for you. I'm thinking about buying the exact same tires.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

Originally Posted by JackJ
I would have no qualms about buying re-treads, not because of the price or the fact that I am in the navy and broke as hell 90% of the time, but we put re-treads on C-130's that have take off weights of 160k lbs. plus and landing weights of around 100k lbs. and they hold up fine. I know it is a different rubber compound but the theory stand true, now if only I could afford those instead of the used tires I buy.
Ahh never mind...They tread these like an OTR tire, where it's cured like a slick and the tread is molded into it...that's a little different process than we do in our Bandag shop.

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread