2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^I see a burnout video in your future.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

OK, one of my tires showed up today. The other 3 should be here tomorrow even though they all left the factory on the same day.

At first glance, I was impressed. They look just like a BFG A/T KO. They are considerably larger than my current 265s, but upon closer inspection I am somewhat concerned about my purchase. Looking at the sidewall I can clearly see this wavy seam where the tread rubber meets the casing. It clearly shows this to be a retread and is somewhat unsightly. It also appears that they shave the casing down for better adhesion of the tread rubber, but I'm concerned that this may weaken the sidewall. I hope this obvious shaving will be less noticeable after a few applications of tire dressing. I have to say, my joy was quickly diminished and I am now wondering if these were worth the couple hundred I saved over the General Grabbers I was originally interested in. We shall see.

Name:  BFG-1.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  129.0 KB

Name:  BFG-2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  BFG-3.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  106.7 KB

Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the black side look like, still wavey ? and IMO it's noticeable to a certain extent but rarely will you meet some one who knows what a recap is anyways.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Both sides look exactly the same. I don't care what anyone else notices, I will know it is there and that bugs me.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
yakkier
Banned

im sure they have a warrenty, tell them you dont feel as though they'er up to par and see if they'll swap them out

Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I use to work in a tire shop, ive seen that in some cases. Im not trying to frighten you, but there was a blowout once, someone had the car towed in, 2 tires were blown, and they were in fact re-treads, and a good section of the tread separated from the sidewall.

But that was only one incident. Ive seen many tires with that wavy section on the tire. Like i said im not trying to frighten you, and i should have posted it before. but like i said ive seen many retreads and they hold up fine, this was only one case.

Also how does it feel on the inside of the tire in the section where its wavy?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The only experience I have with retreads is from when I was in my early teens back in the early 80's. My step-dad always bought retreads for his car, which was pretty much only used for his commuting back and forth to work. I can't recall him ever having incident with them.

However, he had a set put on the family car, a Chrysler Lebaron, a late '70s model from when they were still big boats. On a family trip from downstate NY to Canada one summer we had a tread separation followed by an almost immediate blow-out. He managed to steer the car to the shoulder of the road, but even from the back seat, there was a couple of seconds when it appeared we were in serious trouble.

My mother was on his a$$ to drive well under the speed limit for the remainder of the trip and made him replace them immediately after returning from our vacation. This car was also her daily driver and she would never feel safe with them.

I know technology has gotten better over the last 30 years, but I can't see myself ever putting retreads on a vehicle, no matter how much the savings might be...

Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
yakkier
Banned

That may be true but kinda gotta keep in mind that regulation's are insane now for tire manufactors because of what happened with firestone back in the 90's.

i really doubt they'er unsafe because of all the tests they have to run on them.

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The only experience I have with retreads is from when I was in my early teens back in the early 80's. My step-dad always bought retreads for his car, which was pretty much only used for his commuting back and forth to work. I can't recall him ever having incident with them.

However, he had a set put on the family car, a Chrysler Lebaron, a late '70s model from when they were still big boats. On a family trip from downstate NY to Canada one summer we had a tread separation followed by an almost immediate blow-out. He managed to steer the car to the shoulder of the road, but even from the back seat, there was a couple of seconds when it appeared we were in serious trouble.

My mother was on his a$$ to drive well under the speed limit for the remainder of the trip and made him replace them immediately after returning from our vacation. This car was also her daily driver and she would never feel safe with them.

I know technology has gotten better over the last 30 years, but I can't see myself ever putting retreads on a vehicle, no matter how much the savings might be...

Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

I'm less concerned with any safety issue and more with the appearance issue. This is how the tires are represented on their website:

Does that sidewall look anything like what I received?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you might have to give them a call, see if the rest are the sam way, it might just come like that, and that pic one is a tire that they did perfectly so they use that tire pic for every size it comes in, just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread