2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
chet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they dont have big enough tires in 18's at the moment. They said their starting to carry more sizes

Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by divetruck
The only problem ihave (or think i have) with retread are the shredded ones you see on the side of the road from the big rigs.
I thought about that too, but I wonder how much of that is caused by carrying very heavy loads and lack of properly inflated tires. I doubt that all of the OTR truckers check the trailer tires when they pick up a load. I am looking at this option and hoping the reviews go well. But with most of my family being about 250 miles away, I have to know that they hold up well with a good amount of highway driving.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

Well ive been insanely busy, must just be that time of year, over a week and havent even been able to call jay about the fastmann, sorry jay ill call tommorow haha,...anyway got to mount the tires tonight after work and balance them but didn't have time to do the 2" kit, thats for another night...UPDATE on the review....balanced well, the road noise is fine, it has a nice little hum to it which i personally like, i mean they are MTRs so what do you expect? Took them through 6inches of snow and ice...they hooked hard, definetly impressed....tommorow getting an alignment and then we'll see how they wear...some pics

Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

HAHA that's definitely not an LTX M/S!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by divetruck
Actually the subarau forester (wifes car) the tires are 215s. The only problem ihave (or think i have) with retread are the shredded ones you see on the side of the road from the big rigs. But please keep us informed.
According to people in the truck tire industry most of the tire remains seen on the highways are from virgin tires, not recaps. Also many tire failures are caused by improper inflation.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

yep maintenance is key

Old 12-24-2008, 04:50 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

Did the alignment on the truck yesterday, was toed slightly out to the right but it was like that before so no big deal. Drives nice and straight...rides nice, They have a nice little hum like i said but no worse than the BFG M/Ts

Old 06-05-2009, 12:46 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So, how have they been?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:50 AM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

thanks for pulling this up....Overall, amazing tires. Best ive ever had. My dad now is ordering a set for his dodge.
The ratings-
Snow- 8/10
Rain- 9/10
Ice-8/10
Mud-10/10
Wear- 10/10

The one thing that honestly surprised me out of this use so far is how good the tire actually is in the mud. It is amazing. Places i had to use 4x4 in the mud before i dont now, it just pulls and pulls. The other thing is the wear, we're about 20,000 miles in and i ts still brand new. Snow is good, but equal to my BFG i had. when i take it in real deep mud or sand ill let you guys know.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
willstruck
Professional

Wow, I'm going to look into them for my next tire. I have Maxxis Bighorns I just bought, but these are going to be a better deal when i need to replace them.

About the truck tires - most truckers now don't even speak english, don't drive their own trucks, and don't even know how to check air pressure. I worked on the truck slab a little at my old job, it was horrible trying to deal with them. They would be driving on bald tires, get a nail, drive on the flat, bald tire, then want it patched! No wonder there's shredded tires all over the highway!

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread