2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lost reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry lost reverse

ok want out muddin in the soupy ****, got stuck. and then noticed why i couldnt get out of the rut i was in... i have NO REVERSE. i dont know if there is a common problem with them just lossing one gear or if it is just wet, or linkage. i mean i know the dodges have weak trannies anyway but all the other gears work just fine. nothing slips, bangs, booms, squiels. nothing. the 4wd still works in both high and low gears. so i dont know. any suggestions or do i have to go and use the warrentie and get it replaced?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:29 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

manual or automatic?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC from other posts, he has an automatic.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well i checked the computer, it pulled a code of P1762, not in the haynes manual. but the comptuer at autozone said it is the governer pressure sensor. i have never heard of it and dont know where it is but i check the fluid. it is low and bunrt. so tomorrow i an going to the shop. draining the fluid, replacing the filter, nd fillin her back up and hope it works. if not it will go back in to the shop and have a reman tranny put it her under warrenty

Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

and yes it is automatic. the wierd thing is nothing else makes a sound. in any other gear.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Ck the strut for the reverse band too. and ck the reverse piston spring as well, they both do break or fall out into the pan. Your transmission has electronic governor and transdeucer.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:54 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok, well can you elaberate alittle more, i mean i have never delt with trannys before, so what shoudl i be looking for? and do you know where those governers are, or the transducer... i dont even know what that stuff does

Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

You may have broken the reverse piston, or the reverse band is out of adjustment. With severe off road use i have seen the reverse piston break causing the band to run against the reverse drum. Had a kid do that to me twice. He swore up and down that he never took it off road. When i pulled the unit out it was covered in mud. I clean everyone of my cases, and i had just built it 2 months prior. How does one cover the top of the bell housing with mud if they never take it off road?

Anyway, im glad you found someone to warranty that transmission. Just by looking at your sig picture, i know i wouldnt.

I hope you get everything straightened out.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well i have the extended warrenty and it is all covered. now i take it if that piston broke, i should just go and have it rebuilt, or can that be something i can do? and if the bands are out of ajustmant, is that something i can do? and i normally clean it before i bring it in and just tell them that i do offroad but thats not what i was doing when it happen. thats how my warrenty works. i brought it to the dealership covered in cla and got the whel hubs replaced. had no problem with the warrenty

Old 12-14-2008, 11:27 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
and i normally clean it before i bring it in and just tell them that i do offroad but thats not what i was doing when it happen. thats how my warrenty works. i brought it to the dealership covered in cla and got the whel hubs replaced. had no problem with the warrenty

What are you going to tell them this time?

If the piston broke then it needs to be rebuilt, but you can try adjusting the band first, but if the fluids burnt and black, its time for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: lost reverse