2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can't get a radio to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM
guitarking135
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't get a radio to work.

So I got my truck with no radio or speakers in it and the dumb *** spliced into the factory side of the harness to have his subs. asinine I know anyways I have acouple of stereos laying around one of which I know works fine. The problem I have is i cant get either to power on inside of the truck. The two power wires never got touched on the factory side and they both have power. But neither radio will turn on. Is there something I'm missing here. I bought a new wiring harness and soldered it in and still nothing any ideas?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not really sure of what your saying........(well i understand a little),,sorry

but the radio needs power on the red and yellow wires and a ground on the back wire, to power on...

ingnition wire(red)
battery wire(yellow)

the red wire goes to the fuse box then to the ingnition then to the main fuse box then to the batterypower and the yellow goes to the fuse box then the main fuse box.

if you what to radio to play without the key in the ignition and on,,, you can have the red wire go to power (no switch = no ignition)

so really just to get the radio to power on, the red and yellow need power.

i really hope this helped.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
kringl

thing i found wierd on the dodge was the ground black wire seperate from the harness pluged into a tab on the radio chassis if you have power at the red and yellow chech that ground for mine i just soldered a male spade to the black wire and pluged into the conector from the truck if its still there

Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 PM
guitarking135
Professional

ok so on my factory harness I have a grey conector and a black one and a black and white one with two wires what does the small two wire one go to? is that the ground you were talking about?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 PM
kringl

dont remember but looked up in manual shows ground as balck/dark blue wire but if having problems just to troubleshoot grab a chassis ground for the stereo ground and see if it powers up. will show you if the ground is really the problem your having before splicing back together

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

there was a ground wire that when form the factory harness to the back of the radio

so you should have two conectors and a ground that can be bolted the the back of the radio..... that the way it was on my 95

Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 AM
guitarking135
Professional

hmmm ok I'll piddle with it tomorow

Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM
APA228
Professional

The small white connector with 2 wires should be for steering wheel control for the radio. It plugs into the radio on the back right side.

Quick Reply: can't get a radio to work.