2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote starter 99 Ram 2500

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 PM
dksob81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote starter 99 Ram 2500

I am getting ready to install a remote starter system on a 99 dodge RAM 2500, I got the wiring information and for the starter wire it says "MUST ADD RELAY FOR REMOTE START", what is the relay for?

I have installed about a dozen remote starteron many vehicle and never once did any of them call for a relay for remote starting.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:29 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Not 100% for our Dodges, but it may have something to do with the factory keyless entry (so you can still use it in addition to the starter's).

On my wife's 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, Jeeps come equipped with smart key and a starter immobilizer (so if you aren't using the smart key to turn the ignition, even if they key fits, the car won't start), so my wife's Jeep required two relays, one for that and one for the factory keyless.

Last edited by jasonw; 02-15-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
alberto coronado
Default remote start cranks will not start

i have a 98 dodge ram 1500.factory remote will crank too long ,as if the starter is sticking then shuts off. then it tries again.
it will start using the key.
on a cold start you have step on accelerator to stay running.
any ideas

Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

Originally Posted by dksob81
I am getting ready to install a remote starter system on a 99 dodge RAM 2500, I got the wiring information and for the starter wire it says "MUST ADD RELAY FOR REMOTE START", what is the relay for?

I have installed about a dozen remote starteron many vehicle and never once did any of them call for a relay for remote starting.
I've got a 99 1500 and I put a remote start on mine and there were a few relays that I had hooked up (I think 4 of them) but they all came with the kit and were already all wired together in the harness. As far as an external one, that is the only thing I can think it would be used for is a keyless entry setup. If you don't have keyless entry, then you should be able to skip this step.

To be sure, I would e-mail the company with your question and see what kind of response they come up with.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 AM
dksob81

Originally Posted by dblj16380
I've got a 99 1500 and I put a remote start on mine and there were a few relays that I had hooked up (I think 4 of them) but they all came with the kit and were already all wired together in the harness. As far as an external one, that is the only thing I can think it would be used for is a keyless entry setup. If you don't have keyless entry, then you should be able to skip this step.

To be sure, I would e-mail the company with your question and see what kind of response they come up with.
Thanks, I have installed alot of systems and I ussually just go onto the12volt.com to get my wiring information and this is where I read about the relay use for remote starters. maybe it's nothing.
I know about using the relays for door locks and stuff, but didn't understand what it would be used for on remote starting.

Quick Reply: Remote starter 99 Ram 2500