2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sway bar

has anyone else taken the sway bar off there ram? i know there is a front one, but is there a rear. i never thought to look and mine is in the garage. and how does that handle going down the road? hitting mud? whats its manners all around?

Old 12-21-2008, 02:31 PM
busaguy05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've disconnected my front sway bar before, it's great for off road I don't know about muding (not my cup of tea) but for on road use the handling of the truck goes down dramatically. And the answer to your question about one in the rear, the answer is no there is no rear sway bar. I think some of the 3/4 and 1 tons did have them in the rear but might of only been with the camper package?

Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok, i thiink i might fab up my own quick disconnects, so i can put them on for the road. and disconnect for te mud cause from wha i have heard it helps off road. alot. so i will try it, but i will have to see. ill let everyone know

Old 12-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

I thought disconnecting the sway bar only helped you flex more, not really helped you all that much off road, unless you need the flex to get over obstacles. Then again, I've heard a lot of BS before, LOL!

Old 12-21-2008, 03:16 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

if ya disconnect it, yes it allows you to flex more and also flex what little would normlly flex, easier. and yes to over obsticals easier. i did it on my buddies ranger... that was fun, took it completelly off. WOW alot more traction in the woods

Old 12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Rockymountainsusp.com sells them for our trucks, I think they are made by Tough Country.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:59 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
I thought disconnecting the sway bar only helped you flex more, not really helped you all that much off road, unless you need the flex to get over obstacles. Then again, I've heard a lot of BS before, LOL!

Well, pretty much. It helps flexing out a bunch, big time. So much I had to put hose clamps on the top and bottom of my coils to keep them from falling out when flexing. And I have basically all stock suspension aside from the springs.

And it helps allot off road too. I noticed once I took the sway bar off that I could drive through off camber areas in 2 wheel drive where I used to get stuck in 4 wheel drive (just from the extra flex).

On road it is a little noticeable while cornering, but not as much as you would think. Its not scary or anything, just noticeable. Maybe it has something to do with the one ton coils I have though. I'm sure the stockers would let it lean a little more.

I haven't had mine on since I first took it off (a few years now) and I don't plan on putting it back on any time soon either.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:33 PM
busaguy05
Professional

Originally Posted by olyelr
Rockymountainsusp.com sells them for our trucks, I think they are made by Tough Country.

I run something similar to this, I got mine through ThurenFabrication.com along with his control arms and steering kit. It's AWESOME!!! lol

Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok, if put those on there, and i disconnect the swaybar. doesnt it jsut hang, wouldnt that just get in the way? or does it refasen to something else? or do you think it would be better for me to just take it off, and if i have to make a long trip, put it back on?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
busaguy05
Professional

Yeah it would just kinda hang there unless you found some place to attach it to.

Quick Reply: sway bar