2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New tools new things to do

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:58 AM
vmann
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

say a thunder bird turbo something at advanced auto parts for 25 bucks. I dont care about the sound as much as the performance aspect. People say anything is better than the stock, im tight on cash, and i dont really care about the sound so should i just go with the 25 dollar muffler i found?

and for the record im only doing the muffler not the entire system. =]

Old 12-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vmann
say a thunder bird turbo something at advanced auto parts for 25 bucks. I dont care about the sound as much as the performance aspect. People say anything is better than the stock, im tight on cash, and i dont really care about the sound so should i just go with the 25 dollar muffler i found?

unless you have cop problems there I would just chop the muffler off and leave it that way IMO I would save until you can get a nice complete system

Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

He's just a kid in HS. I would recommend something rather mellow that won't attract too much attention from the cops,yet still sounds nice, like a 60 series flowmaster. Reason I say that is because my Mustang was loud as hell, and I constantly got stopped and ticketed for loud exhaust when I was younger. Looking back, I could have used the money I paid in fines for alot of better things. Like on chicks! LOL

Last edited by zman17; 12-27-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional

Ahhh the old days, when I was a young dude we'd just throw on the old reliable "glass pack" then slap the woodpecker sticker on the window.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:31 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it. They do not make much more sound than a stock muffler. I have the same muffler.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:40 PM
vmann
Veteran

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Go for it. They do not make much more sound than a stock muffler. I have the same muffler.

does it out perform the stock muffler by much? worth 25 bucks?

and i agree with not being too loud. Cops aren't fun especially after a little bit of partying (as if just trying to make it home wasn't enough). Also i don't want to go too loud yet because i want to deaden the sound in my cab first.

oh and zman would cutting the muffler off make it perform better? ive heard that it makes you use more gas and lowers your hp. maybe that was the cat.. i dont know.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

does it out perform the stock muffler by much? worth 25 bucks?

and i agree with not being too loud. Cops aren't fun especially after a little bit of partying (as if just trying to make it home wasn't enough). Also i don't want to go too loud yet because i want to deaden the sound in my cab first.

oh and zman would cutting the muffler off make it perform better? ive heard that it makes you use more gas and lowers your hp. maybe that was the cat.. i dont know.
I think it was worth $25. I have had mine on for 2 years now, but am now getting tired of it. I dont know how it compares to a stock muffler. I cut the stock one off for a while(runnin' straight piped), then put the muffler on. I lost some power with no muffler, then I gained it back with the new muffler.

The sound in my cab is not that loud.(According to me!) The turbo muffler sound is nice and raspy, kinda like a glasspack, but w/o the loudness.

I dont think you should have any problems with the cops. There are trucks in my area that run Much louder exhausts than mine and never have problems with the cops. But then again, I live in Indiana. I dont know how dey do it down in Texas!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Ive got dual 18in glass packs with 24in echo chambers. They arent too loud and have never been stopped with them but thats as long as you leave your cat on. Now you can hollow out your cat or just find an old cat, cut it in half and weld the case around the pipe itself. Looks like you are running a cat but you're not. Lot of cops back home would stop people with loud exhaust just to give them a $250 ticket for not running a cat. Glass packs are cheap, $20 a piece and if you want them louder you can just wait till all the glass eventually blows out or get them hot and spray the inside down with a water hose

Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Gav1n8
Veteran

You can't get a ticket as long as you cut the exhaust off after the cat... When I cut mine off I noticed a huge difference in horsepower... Felt like I lost about 20.

When I finally got the money bout 2 weeks later I got dual super 44's and it was well worth the money. I gained the HP I lost and then some.

My truck felt a whole lot quicker going from a dead stop... IMO don't cut the muffler off. it sounds cooler than any muffler you can buy with it off but your engine has no blow back when its off and therefor its hard on your motor and hurts HP.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Gav1n8
You can't get a ticket as long as you cut the exhaust off after the cat... When I cut mine off I noticed a huge difference in horsepower... Felt like I lost about 20.

When I finally got the money bout 2 weeks later I got dual super 44's and it was well worth the money. I gained the HP I lost and then some.

My truck felt a whole lot quicker going from a dead stop... IMO don't cut the muffler off. it sounds cooler than any muffler you can buy with it off but your engine has no blow back when its off and therefor its hard on your motor and hurts HP.
If you have headers, does it matter?

Quick Reply: New tools new things to do