2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance mods: Do they really work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM
WTL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xskylinedx
LOL okay, maybe that was a stretch.
Did my answer help you out at all?
Yeah, I think it was helpful - really all the people who mod or race their trucks can help regular joes out. Your trucks have their niches, mine has its'.

Now I havent been perrsuaded that I have a real need or opportunity to make my truck into a beast by way of these bolt ons. I might get a new muffler soon, more for sound and looks sake - probably go with a thrush and save a couple bucks. If I do something big it will be a aftermarket tranny when mine decides to go.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WTL
If I do something big it will be a aftermarket tranny when mine decides to go.
Good call. I just got a check engine code that signifies (from what I've read) a transmission
failure very soon. I need to go to the bank this week and see if I can get some money
tacked onto my loan for an aftermarket transmission.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

lol If bolts on work or don't work who cares, they are fun to do if you like working on your truck, or want to take pride in your truck. If you don't like to work on your truck, or don't feel you won't get that much of a gain, then don't bother. Although a new exhaust system will always sound great, weather or not you get some HP gain or MGP gain, again who cares!! You will turn heads going down the road and thats what matters! As for a CAI, I do plan on getting a Volant, anyone else have this and like it?? I want it to see if I get a MPG gain, and also it looks cooler then stock under the hood. I love to work on my truck! And thats more of a gain then anything.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The Volant is a good setup. Also has an opening on the front of the filter box for ram air, if you want to do that in addition to the stock air hole.

As far as MPG gain, nah. Maybe 0.5 if you keep your foot out of it, which you won't. I wasn't able to.

Shop around for the Volant. Get it off of eBay or from some place on sale. Got mine for under $250, where as some places try to sell you it for $400.

There she is, complete with my "custom ram air hose". Instead of paying $125 or whatever they want for the official Volant ram air piece, I went down to Menards and grabbed up some flexible rain gutter hose or something. Can't even recall exactly what they called it. Dryer hose would also work. Please pardon the ugly looking stock manifolds, they will be replaced... some day.

Last edited by jasonw; 12-29-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 PM
contractorben
Rookie

WLT, why get on here and talk this ****. Why don't you just go down to your local ford lot and test drive that car they call a truck. Then, I would say go drive your truck (your dodge), but then you wouldn't have any fun. For the fact you have no mods.
Now get off this site and go buy some mods and get your hands drity.
Ben

Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 AM
WTL
Professional

Ben, I havent talked any **** - just called it as I've seen it. Quite a few agree with me, several disagree. Im not against mods, have a few minor ones myself, I just wont spend good money that I have little of right now chasing slight upgrades in performance. I will chase upgrades in other things, especially durability, but I'm not sure how much more horsepower I can put my hands on and if I really need it. Its maybe a lil off topic but the econ is fixin to probably get much worse in the next year and I just want to put my truck in good running shape.

Last edited by WTL; 12-30-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 AM
JackJ
Captain

I wrote SS in the dust and mud on my truck the other day, I think I got 20hp just from that.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Has anybody tried the edelbrock intake for these trucks??? Only place I could find them was jegs. Pretty expensive but might be worth it............

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar+Performance/750418/10002/-1

Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard those cause torque loss. The basic op range for them is 2K-6K. On these trucks the redline is at 5K, and you really need that 0-2000K range for torque. Again, just going on what I have heard...

Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 PM
firemedic0135
Rookie

"Part of the reason for the good low-end torque and poor top-end horsepower is the unbelievably small stock cam. Duration measures 250/264 SAE gross, while lift is a paltry 0.385/0.401 inch even with the Magnum's 1.6:1 rocker ratio."
from here http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ine/index.html
this is a good article showing the potential for power.

Quick Reply: Performance mods: Do they really work?