2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance mods: Do they really work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:02 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firemedic0135
"Part of the reason for the good low-end torque and poor top-end horsepower is the unbelievably small stock cam. Duration measures 250/264 SAE gross, while lift is a paltry 0.385/0.401 inch even with the Magnum's 1.6:1 rocker ratio."
from here http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ine/index.html
this is a good article showing the potential for power.
Is there an echo in here??j/k. I read that article and even posted about it in this thread.lol. They built a helluva engine but it was a street screamer. I know that it will move the torque curve up in the rpms but at the low end what kinda power are we talking??? Is it worth the trade off??? With just the intake and headers they made 319hp at 4,500rpm and 424 lb-ft of torqe at 3,700rpm. That seems like a very usuable power band to me.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:20 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that's an incorrect measurement of the stock cam's lift. The stock cam is a .432/.432 lift.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

wow.. this thread took a bizzare twist since I last posted, man... I and from what I can see, it was simply because someone asked about opinions on trucs, and opinions are like a$$holes, and the biggest ones have the biggest ones.. hahaha... seriously though,

THe basic idea I see here is the OP was more interested in a truck we all saw as being a bit too scary... The only reaon he liked it more was the mods done to it(6 inch lift, blah) anyway, that's when someone posted that people sometimes put too much value in the mods they make and all hell broke loose... And actually, they were right. In the essence that if you mod a truck, kiss the cash goodbye on resale value... Very few aftermarket mods will raise the value... I am not talking about replacing the entire engine and transmission at 200K, sure that will, I'm talking about lift kits, port kits, intake kits.. stuff like that, kiss it goodbye, it might help get it sold quicker, but it aint gunna raise the value... It surprises me how so many people still seem to think they will when years of history proves otherwise.. Noone originally said (As far as I can see) that modding a truck was worthless, they said it was worthless for resale value..
An that statement holds true....

that's how I see it anyway... I kinda skimmed some of the more heated posts.

JimK

Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Originally Posted by JimkDaAdtman
In the essence that if you mod a truck, kiss the cash goodbye on resale value... Very few aftermarket mods will raise the value... I am not talking about replacing the entire engine and transmission at 200K, sure that will, I'm talking about lift kits, port kits, intake kits.. stuff like that, kiss it goodbye, it might help get it sold quicker, but it aint gunna raise the value... It surprises me how so many people still seem to think they will when years of history proves otherwise.. Noone originally said (As far as I can see) that modding a truck was worthless, they said it was worthless for resale value..

JimK
So you think installing a super charger hurts the resale value? Hmm that doesn't sound right... Oh maybe you mean installing a very good cam makes the truck worth less? hmm no that can't be it... both would make that go up... or wait how about a 1000 dollar exhaust system... Damn nope that can't be what your taking about cuz that makes the resale value go up too...

Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

depends who you're selling to.

Unless I know the guy, I would take a stock over the modded truck for fear the guy beat on it. Dealers feel the same, trust me.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

well, I mixed threads up in my head, so sorry for the bizzare wording.. hehee... BUt again, I never said it made the truck worthless... I said the mods don't add resale value.. That was what I said. You will never get your money back, ever. And yeah, I feel the same as squirells, I wont buy a modded truck, when I can get a good stock, because as he said, the modded usually has been run harder... I built a few nice cars in my day, Chevelles, Dusters, Impalas.. All had one thing in common, I ran them, that was why I modded it.. I don't know many who build a 400hp machine just to do it, they do it, because they want to see what 400hp can do.. Just my .02.. There are so many mods though, to ask do they work or not, is too generic.. In order to list all the ones that do and dont would be impossible,because most do work, just to what extent, and what do you wish to gain.. But, I still hold that you will not get your money back for them, Even the Supercharger isn't going to add enough to the resale value to make it worth doing, unless you want a supercharger for the time you own it.. a couple cars I owned, I took back down to almost stock before I sold it, simply because I didn't want to give away my stuff.. Stuff like the nitrous injection and 6 pack on my 74 Duster, I pulled all that , took it back to the stock 440 and sold it.. I then sold the intake and 6 pack to a guy who I beat a few times at a local track, and then sold the nitrous kit to my buddy.. Had I left it on the car, it wouldn't have sold for as much as I got by seperating it.. So, that's the point I'm making.. Mods are nice, for you, but they are a personal thing, and it's gunna be tough to find a buyer that a[[reciates the mods as much as you do, to be willing to pay extra for them...

Old 12-31-2008, 03:09 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

I agree with Jim here. It is moreorless a personal thing. Asking the question what mods work and don't work... good lord my grandchildren would be reading this thread because it would never end, they all work in some way. Mods bring out a person's personality, as one person told me a guy's truck says a lot about the man, and thats true. We all have different taste we all have different views. Some like'em some don't, no need to argue about it. Some of you guys want to know the reasoning behind upgrading a motor and adding mods.... why the f*** should we have to give you a f***ing reason? It's up to the owner to do what he wants it's that simple. But these guys who have mods on their trucks and upgraded their motors to get more HP or TQ or better MPG shouldn't have to justify why they added it. It's what makes each of us his own unique person. IMO this thread is quite pointless, just a way to start a problem.

P.S. Even though I did not agree with Viper's post about Dodge issues, I laughed at the humor it was funny. SmokeGrinder's post, good lord I was laughing so hard Mountain Dew almost ended up all over the keyboard.... that was great.
By the way... who the heck is 360neon?

Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

01DodgeRam360 is also called Neon, because before the Ram he owned a Dodge Neon, and his user name was something Neon something (can't recall exactly). Took him a while to get it changed after be bought the Ram, so we called him Neon. Some of us still do.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran
Wink

Originally Posted by jason.w
01DodgeRam360 is also called Neon, because before the Ram he owned a Dodge Neon, and his user name was something Neon something (can't recall exactly). Took him a while to get it changed after be bought the Ram, so we called him Neon. Some of us still do.
A NEON?? I took one of those out for a test pedal one time.. it was cute.. not real comfortable, the rubber band winds down real fast on those though..

Old 12-31-2008, 09:57 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Ok that who I thought y'all were talking bout but I didn't wanna say is 360neon 01dodgeram360 and then get someone's panties in a ruffle bout it.
The neon was cute? lol Jim thats funny.

Quick Reply: Performance mods: Do they really work?