2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Alan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioning

My a/c has died, and i think that i need to replace the evaporator. Has anyone else needed to do this. I've heard that this a reacuring problem with dodge. Any hints on doing this job, and do i need to change the drier?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2005, 12:25 AM
mardela
Rookie
Default RE: air conditioning

Does the compressor come on?

Old 02-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Alan

yes, the compressor cycles on and off very often

Old 02-22-2005, 05:42 PM
cnewt15
Professional

Yes, my compressor cycles on when I charge it up, but I am having the same problem on my 97 Ram. I ran some dye through it, throw a light on it, and the only leak i find is at the drain hole at the bottom of the pass. side firewall. I dont know how hard it is to get to, or if the drier needs to be changed to, I am lookin for answers also.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:56 AM
harleyram

My compressor does not cycle on or off, I have checked all connections and fuses, any suggestions?
Cheers

Old 07-12-2006, 12:51 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

my friend and I are changing my evaporator core tonight. I will let you know how much of a pita it is.and yeah it's very common problem on Rams.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:57 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

ORIGINAL: harleyram

My compressor does not cycle on or off, I have checked all connections and fuses, any suggestions?
Cheers
does your system have any R134 in it? sounds like it may be empty.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
ramsportguy
Professional

I just went thru this in my 01 ram .I had taken it to a dealership and they did a dye test and come to find out there was a leak in the system.The evaporator was shot and they needed to take the entire dash out to get to it.It isnt cheap by any means but i had luck of the draw cause my truck has low miles(55,000) and they covered the parts,i had to pay for the labor.But it wont be a couple of hours to do i think some said it may run bout 6-8 hours to do and to me that is to much.After it was all said and done and i also had the dash pad replaced at the same time(bought it awhile ago) it ran me about 950.00 to have a new a/c system put in.But figure if you go to a good mechanic look to spend round 1200.00 for it..

thanks
pat

p.s. we called dailmer/chrysler on their 1 800 number n told them our dilema and they gave us a confirmation number and we took it and our local dodge dealership did the test and we called chrysler back and told them it was done and there was a leak so they put us on hold and they called the dealership and talked to the service manager n he told them the same thing, a couple of minutes later they said we will cover all the parts you pay for the labor so we agreed.But the 950.00 wasnt just for the a/c i also had the transfer case fluids done and the differentials and a oil change and the dash pad was replaced(72.00) labor for 1 hours worth of work.So for labor just for the a/c was around 600.00.But keep in mind our truck isnt that old and doesnt have that many miles so you can try and call chrysler but the worst they can say is no we wont cover it.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:50 PM
rambo97
Rookie

I have the same problem with my 1997 ram sport (318)... I put in R-134 and it blew cold for a day.. the next morning it was empty and running warm again.
I am guessing there is a leak, and from this post I am thinking it is at the evaporator or somewhere right behind the firewall/dashboard... of course, it couldnt just be a line or someplace easily accessible.
Thanks for the info, I cant live with no A/C anymore...

Old 07-14-2006, 08:26 PM
harleyram

Ok the gauge I have says warning and will not take any coolant.
I would guess the problem goes much deeper.

Quick Reply: air conditioning